Do you love launching new startup companies based on new technologies? Are you passionate about commercialising research from universities? We have an exciting opportunity for a Seed Investment Manager to join our diverse team.
Imperial is home to the greatest concentration of high-impact research of any major UK University and is consistently placed in the top ten of the world rankings. The mission of the Enterprise Division is to offer the most advanced education and research, collaborate with other organisations, and apply our work to industry. You will play a pivotal part in delivering this mission by supporting the launch and investment into startup companies from across the Imperial College community.
An integral part of Enterprise’s Startups & Investments team, you’ll work in the investments team preparing and supporting investments from the Imperial College Enterprise Fund. The position is for an initial fixed term of 18 months with a possibility of extension depending on future plans for fund activities at Imperial college.
Duties and responsibilities
This will be a multifaceted role with several exciting responsibilities. Some of the key areas you will lead on include:
- Assess the investment case for a startup with the Startup Executives and academic founders
- Develop a detailed written investment case with supporting documentary evidence
- Own the negotiation of investment terms and preparation of legal investment documentation
- When raising external investment, the role holder will also be responsible for preparing the investment marketing documentation including executive summaries, one-pagers and compelling investment presentations
- Run the complete investment process ensuring all internal partners (internal legal resources, academic founders and internal decision makers) are clear on and supportive of the process and the specific actions
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A Science-based first Degree (BSc or equivalent)
- Significant experience of working in the startup investment environment
- Established relationships with multiple seed investors (Funds and Angels) in the UK
- Significant experience in evaluating business models and preparing investment presentations
- Significant experience with multi-stakeholder project management aptitudes including excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Significant experience with startup legal investment documentation
- Have a strong eye for detail, with the ability to balance a busy and varied workload to tight deadlines
This is an 18-month fixed term.
For more information or if you wish to informally discuss this role, contact Govind Pindoria at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Imperial College London
Imperial College London is the UK’s only university focussed entirely on science, engineering, medicine and business and we are consistently rated in the top 10 universities in the world.
You will find our main London campus in South Kensington, with our hospital campuses located nearby in West and North London. We also have Silwood Park in Berkshire and state-of-the-art facilities in development at our major new campus in White City.
We work in a multidisciplinary and diverse community for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle the big global challenges our complex world faces.
It’s our mission to achieve enduring excellence in all that we do for the benefit of society – and we are looking for the most talented people to help us get there.
Please note that job descriptions cannot be exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
All Imperial employees are expected to follow the 7 principles of Imperial Expectations:
- Champion a positive approach to change and opportunity
- Communicate regularly and effectively within, and across, teams
- Consider the thoughts and expectations of others
- Deliver positive outcomes
- Encourage inclusive participation and eliminate discrimination
- Develop and grow skills and expertise
- Work in a planned and managed way
In addition to the above, employees are required to observe and comply with all College policies and regulations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment for all. We therefore encourage candidates to apply irrespective of age, disability, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion and belief, gender identity, sex, or sexual orientation. We are an Athena SWAN Silver Award winner, a Disability Confident Leader and a Stonewall Diversity Champion.
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com.
If interested, please apply here.