Over eight years ago, Cintrifuse was established with one clear mission: to help ensure the long-term vitality of our region by accelerating the development of a tech-based economy in Greater Cincinnati. That mission is more urgent and essential right now than at any point in Cintrifuse’s history and we are seeking a leader who is exceptional and mission-focused to join the strategic center of our management team as Fund Manager of the Cintrifuse Syndicate Fund.
Cintrifuse has three building blocks in which our Syndicate Fund plays a key role:
- We leverage our Fund to access cutting-edge technologies, generate strong financial returns, and create investment pools for entrepreneurs
- We help the largest corporations in our region discover the innovations — and the innovators — who can help them grow and be at the top of their industries
- And, we work with entrepreneurs to accelerate their startups and connect them to global, industry-leading customers right here in our own backyard
We have more than $115 million in venture capital invested and at work. We have hundreds of startups in our local pipeline. We have dozens of major companies (“BigCo’s”) working with us to accelerate innovation. We’re playing a central role in regional “restart” efforts. And we’re building a reputation that has corporate leaders, startup founders, and venture capitalists nationwide talking about Cincinnati.
Our Syndicate Fund currently consists of two individual, jointly managed funds that operate as a Fund of Funds, investing in venture funds outside the region to bring capital and VCs to Greater Cincinnati. We’re planning to launch a third Fund that will:
- Focus on a few critical strategic pillars (e.g., supply chain, connected health)
- Strike a balance between the Fund of Funds approach and direct investment in our community
- Support women-led and minority-led entrepreneurs
The Fund Manager will be a member of our senior management team, with shared responsibility for the overall management of Cintrifuse and engagement with our ecosystem. The position reports directly to the Cintrifuse CEO. A small team of analysts and administrators report to the Fund Manager. Investment choices are made with the consent of an external Investment Committee and the counsel of an external Advisory Committee.
See the video below to listen to Sarah Anderson, Cintrifuse Fund Manager, describe her role and the Fund.
The Fund Manager will be responsible for:
- Fundraising: Immediate emphasis on defining the strategy and primary responsibility for the launch and successful capitalization of Fund III in the first half of 2021, in partnership with the CEO and others
- Fund Management: The Syndicate Fund has a decade-long history of strong financial performance which the Manager will be responsible for sustaining, including management and administration of two funds with $115 million currently under management, portfolio development, fund operations and diligence (reporting, capital calls, and distribution). Cintrifuse is presently drawing from 36 unique LP accounts (e.g. P&G, Kroger) and participating in 20 GP accounts including Greycroft, Lerer Hippeau, Revolution and Atomic
- Strategy Development: Primary responsibility to lead and execute launch strategy for Fund III, a revenue strategy for Cintrifuse (with particular emphasis on corporate services), and coordinate a capital formation strategy for Greater Cincinnati region, as well as help shape the ongoing enterprise strategy for Cintrifuse overall
- Strategic Relationships: Relationships with Fund advisory groups, LP and GP leaders, thought-leading VCs inside and outside our Funds, cutting-edge innovators and key entrepreneurs, ecosystem partners, and the Cintrifuse Board
- Corporate Innovation and Revenue Development: Tech-driven engagements with corporate partners and brands that generate a sufficient and reliable revenue stream to support Cintrifuse operations. Additional dotted-line resources will support this effort
- Fund Team Management and Growth: Day-to-day supervision of our lean Fund Team and, equally important, ongoing capability growth of each person on the team
- External Thought Leadership: Highly effective and engaging communication across all stakeholders that spans vision, strategy, innovation, and trends, in addition to Fund performance
- 10+ years in fund and/or financial management. Ideal candidate will have experience leading business and financial strategy, delivering strong financial performance, and managing reporting and legal compliance requirements. Experience in venture capital and/or as a founder is a significant plus. Bachelors degree(s) in one or more financial disciplines; MBA preferred
- Proven fundraising experience and passion, which will be critically important during the first 12-18 months of the new manager’s tenure
- Demonstrated ability to sense and rapidly understand the implications of emerging tech and trends
- Demonstrated ability to engage executives and advocating successfully for bold opportunities
- Exceptional communication skills are essential
- Demonstrated success working with and managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to work with conviction in uncertain, ambiguous, fast-changing environments in a flexible, adaptable manner
- Mission focused – enthusiastic about Cintrifuse’s role as a central catalyst in the long-term economic viability of the GC startup economy and our goal to be the #1 startup hub in the Midwest and among the top innovation centers in the nation
- Visionary Skills: Sees insights and opportunities that others haven’t seen, looks beyond conventional, explores possibilities with an open mind and entrepreneurial spirit, never settles for status quo
- Strategic Skills: Identifies opportunities for disruptive growth and advantage; assesses risk and pushes for appropriate levels of risk tolerance; makes complex decisions with imperfect data
- Operating Skills: Sets clear priorities, moves with urgency, balances big-picture thinking with precise attention to detail, collaborates seamlessly, and nurtures positive, future-focused culture
- Influence Skills: Listens to understand, builds highly inclusive and empathy-based relationships, communicates effectively across all communication channels, consistently provides clarity and context, engages at senior levels with conviction
- Entrepreneurial Passion: Brings enthusiastic passion for supporting startups, engaging in the community, moving fast when possible, and pivoting when needed
In short, we’re looking for a Fund Manager who will be a trusted steward of our capital, a game-changing innovator with our partners, and a startup-minded catalyst of our ecosystem. The role is Cincinnati based and will be highly visible and influential both regionally and nationally — and an indispensable part of our future impact. If you have a passion for startups, innovation and financial stewardship that drives growth … let’s talk!
Contact: Zand Walters Zand@Cintrifuse.com
See PDF attached as well as an extended version PDF highlighting Cincinnati.
Fund Manager role description short final
Fund Manager role description long final