Are you excited about working with the world’s largest health innovation portfolio? Are you comfortable coaching entrepreneurs on business opportunities and challenges? Are you a quant who considers themselves an Excel expert? Are you intrigued about the idea of collecting and analyzing data on 330+ portfolio companies? In a before-Covid world, did you enjoy attending health industry conferences and meetups to expand your network? If you answered yes to all these questions, we want to meet you!
StartUp Health is hiring a Venture & Portfolio Lead to help bring in new founders to back, liaise and coach current portfolio companies, support our Funds, and keep our investment and platform operations running smoothly. Our ideal candidate is entrepreneurial-minded, solution-oriented, motivated, highly analytical, and considers organization and follow-through as two of their unique abilities. Previous experience in venture capital and private equity required.
As our team is distributed across the country, we’re considering candidates from all locations (it’s a bonus if you’re in the Bay Area or NYC).
- Source new investment opportunities and identify new trends in health innovation
- Take prospective founders through the onboarding process from intro call to diligence to final agreement
- Organize and project manage annual and quarterly financial request to portfolio companies, aiming for 100% participation
- Collaborate on quarterly enterprise valuation analysis of all portfolio companies and determine the impact to equity holdings based on capitalization events
- Ensure financial metrics and stats for all active portfolio companies are kept up to date and easily accessible by the team
- Coach entrepreneurs on capitalization and financing strategies and interface regularly with portfolio management teams
Support StartUp Health’s fundraising and reporting needs, including Fund and financial modeling exercises
Our Ideal Candidate
- Minimum of 2 years experience in venture capital, private equity or related roles
- Demonstrated ability to collect and organize data, analyze company financials, and identify relevant issues
- Experience with financial modeling and investment valuation techniques
- Proficiency in reviewing term sheets, capitalization structures, and related agreements
- Strong proficiency in Excel
- Experience and comfort with interacting with entrepreneurs, management teams, and investors
- Strong discretion with sensitive and confidential information
- Entrepreneurial mindset and strong ability to navigate ambiguity and balance multiple priorities
- Thrives in a Results-Only Work Environment (ROWE) and comfortable working with a remote team
- Alignment and commitment to our mission to achieve health moonshots
- Degree in finance, accounting or business administration; MBA a plus
About StartUp Health
StartUp Health is on a 30-year mission to collaborate with entrepreneurs to improve the health and wellbeing of everyone in the world. Since 2011, StartUp Health has been investing in a global army of entrepreneurs — called Health Transformers® — to achieve health moonshots: Access to Care, Cost to Zero, Disease Prevention & Cure, End Cancer, Women’s Health, Children’s Health, Nutrition & Fitness, Brain Health, Mental Health & Happiness, Addiction Prevention & Mitigation, Healthy Longevity, and Pandemic Prevention & Mitigation.
StartUp Health has the world’s largest health innovation portfolio with more than 330 companies across six continents and 26 countries and is backed by leading investors including Advocate Aurora Health, Chiesi, Steve Case, Mark Cuban, Esther Dyson, Brad Feld, GuideWell, Jason Finger, Jerry Levin, Kaiser Permanente, Masimo, Novartis, Otsuka, and Ping An.
Mindset Of a StartUp Health Team Member
- Long-Term Commitment – you are “all in” and committed long-term to our mission
- Supportive Relationships – you are continually surrounded by like-minded team members
- Quarterly & Weekly Rhythm – you recalibrate every 90 days and start each week with a sense of purpose
- Confidently Ambitious – you always convey confidence regardless of the obstacles
- Self-Aware – you are coachable, aware of your unique abilities, and leverage the unique abilities of colleagues
- Healthy Habits – you take care of yourself, have a clear mind and body, and regularly practice gratitude
- Value Creator – you are continually making your future bigger than your past
- Batteries Included – you always provide energy to others and have no tolerance for those who drain energy
If interested, please apply here.