Founded in 2009 by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, Andreessen Horowitz (known as “a16z”) is a venture capital firm in Silicon Valley, California, that backs bold entrepreneurs building the future through technology. We are stage agnostic: We invest in seed to late-stage technology companies, across the consumer, enterprise, bio/healthcare, crypto, and fintech spaces. a16z has $18.8B in assets under management across multiple funds, including the $1.4B Bio funds, the $3.1B Crypto funds, and the Cultural Leadership Fund.
We’ve invested in companies like Airbnb, Coinbase, Figma, Instacart, Lyft, Pinterest, Roblox, Slack, and Stripe; and in the bio and healthcare world, Accolade, BigHat Biosciences, Cedar, Devoted Health, EQRx, Freenome, Insitro, Komodo Health, Omada Health, and PatientPing.
Read more about our Bio Fund thesis here. Software is eating bio and healthcare, and bio is eating the world!
We’ve established an approach that is defined by a fundamental respect for the entrepreneur and the company building process. Our team is composed of ex-founders and operators who have built numerous bio and healthcare companies, and therefore bring a uniquely empathetic lens to helping entrepreneurs and their companies impact and change the world.
The Capital Network team connects our portfolio companies into the most comprehensive network of capital partners, strategics and advisors. We advise our companies and partner closely with the Investing team on capital raising, M&A, capital markets and financial operations. Through our deep, long standing relationships, we create opportunities and maximize outcomes.
We’re looking for an individual with a strong passion for: bio and healthcare, building lasting relationships, and connecting the dots across a vast network and platform. As the Bio Vertical Lead, you will be responsible for (1) managing the firm’s investor, strategics and advisor relationships globally for both bio and healthcare (2) serving as the senior advisor to all bio and healthcare portfolio companies and their respective General Partners specifically for capital raising, M&A and capital markets and (3) driving thought leadership and impactful content to the portfolio, network and firm.
To join our team, you should be excited to:
Relationship and Network Management
- Build, cultivate and manage strategic, long-term relationships for the firm with capital partners, strategics and advisors. You have a vision for what the relationship can be for the firm over time, not just what benefit it will provide you in the interim.
- Be a fixture in the bio and healthcare ecosystem. You already know the vertical exceedingly well. You are a magnet for investors, strategics and advisors because of your authenticity and ability to connect.
- Develop long-term relationships with portfolio companies and creatively connect them to our network through introductions, meetings, briefings, events and conferences.
- Leverage your relationships and network to glean insights and perspectives that help you stay ahead of the curve. You also are able to proactively and effectively communicate these back to your colleagues to add to the collective awareness.
Capital Raising, M&A and Capital Markets
- Partner with the team and General Partners to maximize our portfolio companies’ outcomes. You over-communicate and leverage your superpowers – we win as a team. This will be through the lifecycle of a company, from seed through exit.
- Run simultaneous engagements and processes, across the entire bio and healthcare portfolio, with a balance of responsiveness and thoughtfulness. You and the Investing team are always in sync.
- Advise our portfolio companies on all aspects of:
- Capital raising, such as: the art of the fundraise, proactive fundraise planning and prep, pitch deck prep, identifying and connecting impactful follow-on investors, seeing processes through to a close, over-communication with the General Partners, and more.
- M&A, for instance: proactive prep, identifying buyers and targets, buy- and sell-side advisory, transaction execution support, and more.
- The capital markets, including but not limited to: standard methodologies to implement, IPO preparedness, timing and positioning, underwriter line-up, IPO vs. Direct Listing vs. SPAC, and more.
- Receive confidential information, track portfolio company performance, and anticipate funding and exit needs.
- 12+ years of commercial banking, corporate development, investment banking, operating and/or venture capital experience. Preferable past experience, includes: bio- and/or healthcare-focused roles.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cross-functionally across the network, portfolio, General Partners and various operating teams within the firm.
- Ability to quickly build trust with other team members, as well as entrepreneurs and the broader network.
- Proven analytical capabilities; experience in financial modeling, data and analytics.
- Genuine intellectual curiosity, aka loves to nerd out in tech, bio and healthcare domains.
- Shows up with energy, an optimistic attitude, and a belief in the future!
- We do only first class business and only in a first class way
- We take a long view of relationships, because we are in the relationship business
- We believe in the future and bet the firm that way
- We are all different, we recognize that, and we win
- We celebrate the good times
- We do it for the team
- We play to win
If interested, please apply here.