WIND Ventures is located in the San Francisco Bay Area and is the newly established corporate venture capital (CVC) arm for COPEC, a leading energy and retail corporation and one of the most valued brands throughout Latin America (LatAm). This is an opportunity to join the founding team of one of the first professional CVC programs with strong strategic ties to the appealing LatAm growth markets. The Investment Director will work closely with the Head of WIND Ventures.
COPEC is part of the second largest corporation in Chile with an extensive network of fueling stations, convenience retail stores and related B2B and B2C services throughout LatAm and the US. WIND Ventures aims to build a sizeable investment portfolio of strategic startups and scaleups where COPEC’s significant resources accelerate the exploration or realization of new growth. Focus areas include: B2C and B2B within: new mobility, energy tech and retail.
The Investment Director is responsible for managing and overseeing all aspects of venture capital investments, including investment strategy, sourcing, evaluation, development of investment memoranda, negotiation, execution, portfolio management, performance reporting, and exits of deals. This will include holding multiple Board positions in WIND Ventures portfolio companies and actively contributing to portfolio company governance, strategy and performance, and managing relationships with co-investors and company management.
Other responsibilities include:
- Continually expand WIND Ventures’ ecosystem and network (VCs, CVCs, accelerators, incubators, CxOs, innovation hubs, Universities, Subject Matter Experts, etc)
- Develop investment theses and deep dives on specific market opportunities or technology areas with subject matter experts
- Prioritize deal flow based on quality, strategic value considerations, economic attractiveness and against the WIND Ventures’ investment strategy and mandate
- Ensure compliance with WIND Ventures’ investment process guidelines
- Represent WIND Ventures at industry events and via speaking engagements
- Lead in conceptualizing and executing WIND Ventures’ events (e.g. Immersion Days)
- Drive effective partnerships between startups / scaleups and COPEC
- Provide regular updates on the overall health of the portfolio
- Mentor more junior members on the team
Requirements / Qualifications:
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in venture capital, corporate venture capital, start-up leadership or related fields, including significant experience at a top-tier venture capital firm or major corporation venture capital group
- Proven track record of executing venture capital deals from sourcing, due diligence, negotiation, closing and driving value creation measures with startup teams
- Strong network within the venture capital / startup communities in Bay Area and / or East Coast
- Experience within one or more of the strategic focus areas
- Fluency with financial models (NPV, IRR, ROI), cap tables and presentations
- Must be a self-starter, comfortable working with minimal oversight, taking on new tasks on-demand / as needed with strong ability to multi-task
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- International experience or ability to work across international cultures
- MBA or other advanced degree from a top-tier graduate program
- A Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or business field
- Requires 30-35% travel, majority domestic with some international
- Located in San Francisco Bay Area
If interested, please apply here.