Samaipata is an early-stage pan-European VC. The fund was created by two entrepreneurs, José del Barrio, co-founder of the leading food-delivery platform in Spain (La Nevera Roja), sold to Rocket Internet for $100 million and Eduardo Díez-Hochleitner founder of a 3D sound system sold to Dolby, former partner at Apax Partners, prolific BA and current Chairman at MásMóvil, sold in a €5 billion takeover by KKR, Cinven and Providence in the biggest European PE deal in 2020.
Samaipata invests primarily in digital platforms and marketplaces at Seed stage in Southern Europe (Spain, Italy and Portugal), France, the UK and Germany. Samaipata is now a remote-first company with team members distributed across Spain, Portugal, France, the UK and the US.
After closing our first €30m fund back in 2016, we invested in 17 companies across Europe, such as Ontruck, Matera, Deporvillage, Legl, Streamloots, Motley, Colvin, or Foodchéri (you can check out our full portfolio here). We launched our second fund (€100m) in 2020 and we have already closed 5 investments. Come join us! 🔥 More details on our investment thesis here.
What we have to offer
We operate like a real company, not a fund. And, as such, an Associate joining the team will:
- Be an integral part of a young, hungry and international squad with a flat hierarchy, where everyone is contributing to make our thinking stronger and our processes better!
- Be on a long-term partner track — not the typical 2-years associate graduate program 🙅♀️! Continuing to learn and improve everyday is our obsession and we will put every resource at your disposal to enable you to do so.
- Have a real impact on our strategy in Southern Europe. At the end of the day, your role will be very entrepreneurial as we do not function very differently from the startups we invest in.
- Finally, we are a remote-first company. So you can work from wherever you want ! And we can ensure a large amount of independence for doers. We’re here to support you, not to micromanage you.
What you will be doing
Your main area of responsibility will be dealflow origination & qualification for the Southern European market (Spain, Italy and Portugal) leveraging our existing internal tools, network & processes (at least at first) — both generating and managing inbound and outbound sourcing, allowing us to spot incredible teams before anyone else.
As an integral part of the team, you will be required to:
- Contribute to internal initiatives and improve our operational processes.
- Perform market research and write thought content pieces that can move the needle in the industry.
- Support deal making and the Southern European portfolio more generally.
You will also be responsible for strengthening our brand platform in Southern Europe by:
- Representing Samaipata at industry events (remote and/or live) and support the local entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Launching diverse branding & marketing initiatives.
What we’re looking for
What we’re looking for
- We are looking for an authentic tech geek with a solid academic understanding of technology. That’s why we are looking for either a Computer Engineer or a Telecommunications Engineer with 4–5 years of work experience combining relevant exposure to technology either as an operator in a startup,a bigger tech company or a VC, and solid business acumen (MBA, CFA or similar studies are a plus)
- Native in Spanish and English — both written & communication skills. Additional languages appreciated.
- A strong internet connection! As a remote-first company, you can perform the job wherever you want. You just need to live in a (+/-3h) CET time zone.
- Be available to start in February
All in all, we’re pretty flexible and open minded with regards to backgrounds and locations ! That being said, we’re looking for someone with superpowers 🧝♂️ and more specifically with:
1. A high intellectual curiosity:
- You have an insatiable desire to learn, and a tendency to dig deep into obscure ideas.
- You have an authentic passion & drive for Tech and a deep respect for entrepreneurship. We also expect some previous familiarity & knowledge within the domain — you didn’t discover who Elon Musk was in the last year.
2. Strong analytical skills & a data-driven mindset:
- You’re highly rigorous & exhaustive and you use data to inform decision making (to an extent where you annoy one’s friends).
- You have a strong business acumen.
3. A genuine ability to thrive as an Independent thinker:
- You’re conviction driven: you always strive to challenge the status quo.
- You’re comfortable being a contrarian: you think for yourself, and you’re not risk averse!
- You’re not afraid to speak up and you have a high sense of ownership.
4. Great “people” skills. We’re looking for:
- A great storyteller with outstanding communication skills.
- A community builder and conversation starter, with a proven ability to federate a community.
- A great team player: you are kind and fun to be around, and your energy is contagious.
5. Someone excited about the new remote-first era:
- You are genuinely interested in joining a remote-first company (we are frequently in touch online and we gather monthly, but you will be on your own the vast majority of the time).
- You are highly autonomous and able to learn fast to fly on your own.
- You are able to self-motivate yourself to achieve your goals and improve 1% every day, always raising the bar..
How to apply
Super easy ! if you think you’re a fit for the role, click here to tell us a bit more about yourself and send us a short mobile video:
- Please note that for the question “According to you, what pre-seed/seed “platform” should we invest in? Why?”
- The video should be shot with your smartphone (vertical view / no need to have a super high resolution) and should not last more than 2–3 minutes max. If it’s heavier than 20 MB just upload a link to the video
- In the video, you will need to i) briefly introduce yourself and your background and ii) answer the question below:
What do you think is the most important trend in Tech for the next 5 years and why? What about in the next 20 years?
We’re looking forward to meeting you !!