At Foundry, we take a network-driven approach to investing in early-stage tech companies and venture capital funds across the US and Canada. We believe in the accelerating power of innovation, networks, and capital to change the world by empowering the next generation of founders and investors. Foundry’s investment team works closely with our portfolio of more than 40 early-stage venture capital firms (what we call our Partner Funds) to identify direct investment opportunities in our network’s most high-potential startups. We’re excited to grow our investment team to support this work.
Opportunity for Impact
In this role, you will manage portfolio tracking, investment identification, deal evaluation and execution, and portfolio support projects. Your focus will be to ensure that we effectively identify and evaluate investment opportunities in the Partner Fund portfolios and provide an exceptional experience to all fund managers and entrepreneurs who interact with Foundry. As a member of the investment team, you will participate in all aspects of the investment process while engaging with and growing our network of entrepreneurs and investors. We will seek and value your perspective regarding existing and potential investments as well as how we support and grow our network.
Role and Responsibilities
- Enhance and manage deal tracking database to ensure all investment opportunities and portfolio company data are accurately captured and up-to-date.
- Assist with the sourcing and evaluation of potential venture funds, early stage startups, and secondary investment opportunities, and make recommendations for investment to the firm.
- Build relationships with Partner Fund managers and communicate regularly to track portfolio performance and identify direct investment opportunities.
- Drive diligence on prospective new investments: conduct financial analysis, customer and expert interviews, and primary market research to develop an investment thesis.
- Monitor a subset of the existing investments, reporting to the investment team on progress and projections, and prepare quarterly reports and other materials for our investors.
- Support founders and fund managers in our portfolio by helping with financial analysis, hiring, customer introductions, research, and special projects.
- Perform broad scale industry research and analysis to learn about and understand industry landscapes within our focus areas.
- Produce public-facing content regarding Foundry’s strategy, investments, and network, and the broader venture landscape.
- Strengthen and grow Foundry’s network by strongly representing our brand and engaging with new entrepreneurs and investors; this is also an opportunity to develop your personal brand and network.
- Enhance Foundry’s internal efficiencies and communications by identifying opportunities to continually improve how we do our work.
- You have between 4 and 10 years of professional experience, preferably in technology, startups, venture capital, management consulting, asset management, or private equity.
- Fluency on current trends in new and emerging technology sectors with articulated viewpoints on the future of those markets and sectors.
- Strong due diligence skills, including product, technical and/or financial aspects of a deal; ability to be a data-driven decision maker, who can build an investment thesis supported by well-executed financial diligence and sector analysis.
- Strong experience with startup communities.
- Ability to interpret data and provide relevant conclusions/recommendations in a group setting.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- By default, this role is expected to be based in Boulder, CO, but we are open to remote considerations.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- You have a demonstrated passion for entrepreneurship and technology.
- You have high emotional intelligence and empathy. You can read a room and relate to people from a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and lived experiences.
- You love building relationships and networks.
- You are naturally curious and hungry to learn and develop as a human and an investor.
- You are humble, kind, and hard-working.
- You care about quality and are detail-oriented while also being able to see the big picture.
- You are comfortable leading but know when to ask for help.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills and are able to clearly and concisely articulate a complex thesis.
Compensation and Benefits
We anticipate paying a salary in the range of $125,000 to $200,000 for this position, depending on the qualifications and experience of the candidate. In addition, Foundry Group provides a benefits package that includes, among other things, health care insurance (100% of medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums paid), life insurance, a 401(K) retirement plan, paid parental leave after birth or adoption, and unlimited vacation and sick leave.
Foundry Group is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
To apply, please submit your resume and brief answers (100 words max) to the following questions to email@example.com.
1. Why are you excited about this role and joining Foundry?
2. What is your favorite Foundry portfolio company and why?
3. How have you been entrepreneurial in your life?
4. What’s an industry trend that you’re interested in and why?
5. Describe the most meaningful professional introduction you’ve made for someone in the past 12 months.