We’re Mouro Capital, a fintech-specialist VC backing ambitious entrepreneurs who are reshaping the future of money and finance.
We were born because we believe fintech has the opportunity to turn financial services upside down but that it needs a different type of investor – one that can bring deep domain knowledge, hands on support and expertise, connections within the industry and a passion for genuinely reimagining the future of the sector.
With $400 million in assets under management and offices in London, San Francisco and Madrid, we invest across the fintech landscape in early-to-growth stage start-ups in Europe, North America and Latin America. We look for bold, brave entrepreneurs in these markets, and we pride ourselves on structuring our investments intelligently and providing domain specialist support post-investment, to help give our startups the best chance of success.
We may be relatively new, but we also have a track record, having previously invested in over 30 companies such as iZettle (acquired by PayPal), Kabbage (acquired by American Express), Truelayer, Uncapped, Curve, Market Finance and Upgrade.
Like what you hear? Come join us!
Your role within the fund
You will be a core part of Mouro’s global investment team, identifying the most exciting and promising investment opportunities in fintech, with a particular focus on the UK and Europe.
We’re a team with a flat structure, so you’ll be involved in all aspects of the investment lifecycle, from sourcing and meeting startups, through to managing the due diligence and investment process, and then supporting the entrepreneurs post-investment.
Your responsibilities will include…
- Building a local network and reputation within the ecosystem. We believe VC is a people business and so we aim to get to know entrepreneurs early in their journey and to help where we can, even before we decide to invest.
- Thought leadership and domain specialism. We believe fintech businesses are best supported by those with deep fintech specialism and so continually aim to deepen our knowledge and share our findings on the market.
- Independently sourcing and analysing investment opportunities. We want to be the ‘go-to’ VC fund for fintechs, but also know the best deals are often competitive. Being able to access the best entrepreneurs, nurture relationships and demonstrate our value as investors to entrepreneurs is therefore critical.
- Conducting and driving the investment process. We know how time consuming fundraising can be for startups, but we also pride ourselves on structuring our investments intelligently. We therefore work hard to ask the right questions, conduct analysis on the business plan, and validate our investment hypotheses quickly, whilst also working with the entrepreneur to structure an investment in a smart way that works for them.
- Supporting our teams both inside and outside the boardroom. We believe our job starts rather than stops once we’ve invested and so, along with our dedicated ‘Portfolio Support Team’, investment team members spend a lot of time directly helping our entrepreneurs and building assets that can help maximise their success.
We believe that in order to create the right environment for success for startups, there needs to be greater diversity of background and thinking within venture capital. We therefore want to hear from people with interesting and varied experiences, who can utilise these to be a different, better investor.
- Ambition, determination and a focus on having an impact
- A high degree of intellectual curiosity, with the ability to build theses and critically assess market opportunities
- Fintech and/or financial services domain specialism, gained from either working in the industry or closely following its developments
- Great communication and people skills so you can articulate and challenge effectively and build healthy and valuable relationships around you.
- The right to work in the UK
- A second European language and/or experience in a European market outside the UK
- Operator / startup experience. Whether it was a success or a failure, we believe hands-on startup experience can be invaluable when finding investments and supporting our portfolio
Being part of the investment team at Mouro brings the opportunity to support some of the most innovative entrepreneurs in finance, whilst working alongside other passionate and experienced fintech investors here at the fund.
You’ll thrive if you’re looking for
- An enthusiastic, passionate and impact-oriented environment where each team member is able to contribute and drive ideas without constraint
- A team of fintech enthusiasts, who are passionate about the sector and want to find and support entrepreneurs who are reshaping the industry
- A great remuneration and benefits package, because hard work deserves reciprocity.
- And last but not least flexibility. We embraced remote before it was a necessity – so while you will be based in London, you’ll have independence to decide where to spend up to half your time
If interested, please apply here.