We’re looking to add a new member to our investment team at Emergence Capital.
In this partner-track position, you will play a critical role in supporting the firm’s due diligence efforts, monitoring and assisting Emergence’s portfolio companies, researching investment themes, and helping source new deals.
This is a rare opportunity to build a career in venture capital. We are obsessively careful about growing the Emergence team (historically, partner-track positions have come available only once every two years) and subscribe to the apprenticeship model. In this role, you will be mentored by a tight-knit team of veteran venture capitalists who have partnered with and learned from the founders of companies like Zoom, Veeva Systems, Yammer, Box, ServiceMax, Salesforce, and more.
The founders of Emergence started the firm with the philosophy that the best culture and best performance would be achieved by grooming people from within. Over the past two decades, we have crafted (and refined) an intentional career development process with this as our North Star goal. As a result, all of our non-founding Partners started their Emergence careers in the role we are hiring for today.
Responsibilities for this role include:
- Independently driving all aspects of due diligence, including detailed customer and management references, market sizing and mapping, financial modeling, and industry research.
- Collaborating with teammates to push our thinking in key thesis areas and developing your own unique perspectives.
- Contributing to building the Emergence brand, portfolio, as well as improving our internal processes. We think of ourselves as a startup and as such we are continuously seeking to iterate on how to operate at our best.
- Sourcing new early-stage investments by nurturing strong relationships with founders, investors, and the broader VC community.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Are highly analytical– You have a keen eye and are genuinely enthusiastic about analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, and have a strong ability to synthesize key findings. Candidates may have consulting, banking, or technical backgrounds, and must be extremely comfortable working in Excel.
- Have an entrepreneurial bent– Empathy is essential to what we do. You’ll likely have started a business yourself or worked at an early stage startup. Alternatively, you will have an outstanding network in the entrepreneurial community.
- Have a default preference for collaboration– Every venture firm is unique in how they operate, and Emergence is on the collaborative end of the spectrum; for example, we require unanimous enthusiasm of our group before we invest in any company. A track record as a low-ego, collaborative team member is essential for success here.
- Are an exceptional communicator– You regularly build strong relationships with entrepreneurs of all backgrounds, and you communicate equally well internally. Strong synthesis skills come in to play here as well. What’s the “so what”?
- Are an innovative thinker– We’re helping to build the next generation of iconic enterprise cloud companies. And, in so doing, building the next generation of Emergence. We need innovative ideas from all of our team members to help shape our theses and investments. The right team member will have a well-reasoned perspective on where enterprise cloud is headed and be able to identify these opportunities early, with a demonstrated record of communicating that perspective in our community.
The strongest candidates for this position tend to have an MBA and 6–10 years of experience in some combination of consulting/banking, big tech, and startups. We place a premium on diversity of ideas and are excited to add new perspectives to our team.
Does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Please apply here. We’ll follow up if your background is a potential fit.
Emergence Capital is a leading venture capital firm focused on early and growth-stage enterprise cloud companies. Our investments include Salesforce.com (CRM), SuccessFactors (acquired by SAP), Yammer (acquired by Microsoft), Veeva Systems (VEEV), Box (BOX), Zoom (ZM), and many other cloud leaders. Founded in 2003, Emergence Capital has $1.4 billion under management and offices in San Mateo and San Francisco, California. In 2017, we won the National Venture Capital Association’s Venture Firm of the Year award.
Our aspiration is to be the most important partner to the most important visionaries shaping the future of work. As such, we are a focused, thesis-driven firm. We work together to develop and execute theses on where work and the cloud are headed next.
We are also a highly collaborative firm. Since we are all focused on enterprise cloud, we are able to collaborate as a team on every investment, starting from our team-wide diligence process and on through the life of each portfolio company.
We value inclusion at Emergence, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.