Commitment: Roughly 20 hours per week. Time commitments will be flexible based on the candidate’s schedule.
Duration: Fall/Winter 2021. Some possibility for Spring involvement
Location: Hybrid Remote/In Office in Chicago’s West Loop. 100% Remote work is possible depending on the candidate.
Compensation: Market Rate/Paid. Exact amount is to be determined.
A private family office is seeking a part-time MBA Associate internship for the Fall & Winter of 2021. The Associate will support the underwriting of sustainable, ocean-focused investments. Typical investments will include fund managers (PE & VC), accelerators, and some early-stage direct investments. The candidate will support all aspects of diligence, underwriting, and securing support from our investment committee. The team is currently approving 1-2 investments per month, so there will be extensive opportunity to see a wide range of opportunities.
Typical responsibilities will include:
- Attending manager/entrepreneur diligence meetings. Due to COVID, the vast majority of these will be Zoom based which should allow for a meaningful internship.
- Building due diligence question lists to support investment characterization.
- Conducting related research on investment themes.
- Writing the supporting investment recommendation memorandums. The primary deliverable is a formal memo, so come prepared to write full form memos. PowerPoint is rarely used.
- Presenting the recommendation to our investment committee for approval.
- The Associate will focus on characterizing new investments, but may also support ongoing portfolio management, pipeline development, and partner relations. These tasks will not be the primary focus.
- While some direct (Seed & Series A) investments will likely be made, the majority of investments will be within funds & accelerators.
Ideal candidates can come from a wide range of backgrounds. We are focused on the applicant’s interest in impact & the ocean sector versus investment experience. Key criteria include:
- 3-5 years of pre-MBA experience.
- Interest in Impact Investing and conserving the world’s oceans are essential.
- Demonstrated professional achievement.
- Investment experience is beneficial. However, we are not focused on finding a traditional private equity, investment banking or consulting background. Other backgrounds such as ocean industry, CPG, and data science backgrounds would be very additive.
The portfolio, titled Rising Tides, is designed to be a unique bridge between several of the office’s strategies. This should provide the candidate with a unique blend of experience within evaluating philanthropic and for-profit investments. The team is currently composed of two members of the investment team, and a Program Officer from the office’s foundation.
The Founder of the private Chicago Family Office and his wife are active philanthropists and investors who are committed to positively impacting the environment and society. They believe in investing with purpose, with the goal of improving quality of life while protecting the health of the planet. It includes four teams: a philanthropy team that manages the Foundation and coordinates philanthropic efforts; a food and agriculture venture capital team focused on sustainability; an investment management team; and an operations team that provides general management as well as strategic and administrative support. The Founder serves as the CEO of the overall enterprise.
Process: Please submit your CV via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Formal cover letters are not encouraged, but a brief statement describing your interest in ESG driven investment in the ocean space will be helpful and should be included in your email.
The candidate will ideally start in late September (flexible). This role is not intended to be a full-time recruitment pathway. The internship will likely be 10-12 weeks and could be extended depending on deal-flow and the entire team’s general capacity.