Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of the world’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education, to reforming the criminal justice system. Our mission is to create a future for everyone. Across our three core Initiative focus areas of Science, Education and Justice and Opportunity, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and movement building, to help build an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI’s investment function is a new effort within the organization. The goal is to build a world-class investment portfolio that will deliver superior risk-adjusted returns to fund CZI’s ongoing operations over the long-term. The investment program pursues a “manager of managers” approach, scouring the globe to find extraordinary investment managers that invest across a wide spectrum of styles and asset classes. These managers will pursue a fundamental investing approach to identify compelling micro-level opportunities. Recognizing that stellar investment managers are hard to find, CZI seeks to partner with its managers for the long-term. The team is led by Chief Investment Officer David Lee, and currently has nine other team members.
CZI’s investment program offers a unique opportunity for early-career professionals to learn the craft of investing and to participate in building an institutional-scale portfolio. The portfolio will be invested globally, and investment analysts will have broad exposure to all of the major allocations (public equities, absolute return, private equity – both buyouts and venture capital – and real assets), while focusing on a subset of these day-to-day. We value truth-seeking, analytical rigor, and collaboration, and all investment team members have a voice in the process, regardless of seniority.
As a Summer Analyst, you will be involved across the investment process, from participating in meetings with existing and prospective managers, conducting investment due diligence, and monitoring existing investments. An ideal candidate is a college junior looking for an internship during the summer before their senior year. We welcome all majors to apply. You should be comfortable with navigating a young organization and be collaborative, hungry to learn, nimble, and proactive about figuring out how to make things happen.
- Conduct due diligence on existing and prospective investment managers, including participating in meetings and calls
- Play an active role in internal discussions related to investment decisions
- Build investment models, develop performance analyses, and monitor exposures at both the fund and portfolio level utilizing software/systems (including Excel)
- Prepare materials for internal team meetings and external manager meetings
- Research financial markets, including preparing periodic updates on financial market performance and “deep dives” into specific areas of interest
- Build relationships with investment managers and peer institutions
- Gain exposure to CZI’s philanthropic programs
- Current progress towards an undergraduate degree. An ideal candidate is a college junior looking for a summer internship between their junior and senior years. We welcome all majors to apply!
- Ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2021
- Targeted graduation date between December 2021 through Summer 2022
- Strong intellectual curiosity
- Interest in financial markets and desire to learn how to build successful investment portfolios
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong time management skills with ability to multitask and prioritize across projects to meet deadlines
- Passion for CZI’s mission
IF interested, please apply here.