B Capital is looking for a Summer Associate Intern who will join us for the upcoming summer. The ideal candidate is a first year MBA student willing to commit 10-12 weeks to a virtual internship. Primary responsibilities will be partnering with colleagues to assist portfolio companies with a broad range of strategic growth and operational initiatives including but not limited to developing insights around new markets and/or products, conducting detailed cost and benchmark analyses, and providing perspectives from thorough industry research. Additionally, this role will be tasked with helping grow and evolve our strategic partnerships through a myriad of activities including but not limited to market landscaping, target selection, engagement, and operating model recommendations. The individual may be asked to develop and drive new programs and initiatives and clearly communicate the outcomes to fellow stakeholders. The work will span our four industry verticals – consumer enablement/enterprise SaaS, financial services/insurance, health/wellness, and industrial/transportation – as well as our strategic partner landscape. Desired functional skills include ability to conduct industry research, data analysis, financial modelling, and storyboarding with a strong presence in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint (Tableau or other data visualization tools are a bonus). This role requires maturity, flexibility, a willingness to learn, strong communication skills, empathy, and a proven record of being a self-starter that can work through ambiguity and take ideas from concept to execution.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Portfolio company engagement
- Partner with fellow team members and portfolio executives on growth and/or efficiency-related initiatives ranging from reducing costs to scaling business functions
- Monitor and track portfolio company performance, being proactive and assertive when intermediation may be required
- Assist with any ongoing or new research efforts including for use in out-briefs for portfolio company leadership, internal B Capital leadership, key investors, and service providers
- Understand and track common SaaS benchmarks and business performance metrics
Strategic partner ecosystem development
- Identify opportunities to grow and scale B Capital operations through strategic partnerships be it through augmenting existing partnerships or identifying and securing new arrangements
- Leverage existing institutional knowledge to navigate matrixed organizations to find champions for priority initiatives
- Enhance tracking of key ecosystem partners using internal CRM system
- Contribute to the development of a corporate CXO network
The ideal candidate has a passion for venture capital, emerging technologies, and the ability to grow and scale companies. He/she is highly analytical but balanced with a strong EQ and ability to communicate with senior executives. Desired skills include the ability to:
- Conduct market research and collect data on competitors, partners, and service providers
- Analyze the competitive landscape to identify key trends, differentiators, and comparable offerings
- Work closely with portfolio leads to help supplement key initiatives with markets insights & data; identify and self-drive new programs and initiatives
- Define, track, and analyze KPIs to measure commercial success of programs / initiatives
- Build and analyze financial statements (P&L, balance sheet, cash flow statement, cap tables) and models via Excel
- Conduct diagnostic analysis to identify and recommend opportunities for enhancing portfolio company revenue and profitability
- Gather and interpret data, execute analysis, and consolidate information into actionable playbooks or case studies
- Write in a persuasive yet concise manner; possess strong verbal communication skills
- Help identify, establish, and maintain a network of corporate leaders that we can engage with to drive strategic objectives, revenue growth opportunities, and scale for our portfolio companies
- Take on significant work volume while being responsive with quick turnaround times
- Roll up sleeves and work independently to get things done
- Work collaboratively in an entrepreneurial, fast-moving team environment
- Current MBA student expecting to graduate in 2022 from a top-tier US-based MBA program
- Pre-MBA experience in investment banking, venture capital, private equity, management consulting, strategic partnerships, business development, or experience at a late stage startup; experience working at BCG is a plus
- BS/BA degree in a relevant discipline
- Exceptionally strong project management, quantitative, and communication skills
- Highly proactive, detail-oriented, organized, and efficient
- Track record of advising senior level executives
Desired Personality Traits:
- Innovative, collaborative and trustworthy with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Unquestioned integrity, credibility
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an evolving, dynamic environment
- A keen emotional intelligence quotient and a contained ego
- Demonstrated honesty, responsibility, integrity and fulfillment of commitments
- Highly accountable and driven with heavy concentration of grit required. We value and celebrate it.
ABOUT B CAPITAL:
B Capital Group is a global firm specializing in equity investing in venture and growth-stage companies that have achieved traction with customers. Through our extensive global network and exclusive partnership with The Boston Consulting Group, B Capital helps high growth startups navigate business challenges, raise capital and attract talented leadership at key points of their journeys to scale. With offices in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles and Singapore, B Capital believes innovation can come from anywhere. Our unique multinational presence and deep industry knowledge have enabled us to build a portfolio of startups in Enterprise application software, Infrastructure, Security and AI/ML, Fintech and Insurtech and HealthcareTech and Bio IT that are transforming large traditional industries across borders and geographies. Portfolio companies include AImotive, Atomwise, DataRobot, Evidation Health, Icertis, Plastiq, and more. For more information, visit http://www.bcapgroup.com/.
B Capital Group Core Values
- Honest – We speak the truth to others and ourselves, but always with positive intent. We hold ourselves accountable, we are intellectually honest, and we are not afraid to say what we know and what we don’t.
- Open – We are constantly evolving, and always looking for ways to better ourselves and our communications, to increase transparency, and improve as a team.
- Trustworthy – Our people and the culture are the heart of our business. We are self-aware, supportive, and trust ourselves and each other.
- Humble – As we advance, we stay humble and never declare victory, knowing that every finish line is the beginning of a new race. When we operate with low ego, we are open to new perspectives, allowing us to learn and improve.
- Collaborative – We are one team. We know that no one person has all the answers, and we work to lift each other up, knowing that we are better together. We bring the best of our firm to every interaction, leveraging our partners. Our successes and failures are equally shared.
- Bold – We are bold and willing to take risks and understand that means that we will at times fail. We learn from our failures, we don’t repeat them and are constantly striving to be better.
- Persistent – To build enduring success, the long-term must prevail over the short-term. Sometimes winning in the long-term looks like losing in the short-term. We persevere, with the enduring perspective that our race is a marathon, not a sprint.
If interested, please apply here.