Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
As part of the continued expansion of our alternatives capabilities, we are seeking to recruit a Lead Venture Capital Director (‘Director’) to build, launch and lead a new venture capital fund that invests both directly in private companies led by Black Heritage founders and minority-owned venture funds. Wellington has been investing in private markets since 2003, and the Firm launched its first dedicated private capital fund in 2014. Today, the team currently manages approximately $4 billion in assets across four private equity funds.
The Director will be responsible for helping develop our sourcing network, in addition to building relationships directly with private companies and other venture capital funds that support Black Heritage entrepreneurs and investors. In addition to generating deal flow, the ideal candidate will conduct in-depth due diligence of select deals, develop investment recommendations, and monitor portfolio positions. We expect this individual to leverage his or her insight and experience during the investment process, while working closely with others across our investment platform, including our Hadley Harbor late-stage venture team, Industry Research team and members of our Shades community. Shades, with approximately 200 active members, is Wellington’s global all-inclusive Business Network for employees from or interested in the African diaspora.
The following essential skills are required for the role
- Investment acumen and passion – The Director will have a deep understanding and track record of investing in early-stage private companies both directly and via funds. The ideal candidate will be passionate about supporting Black Heritage entrepreneurs and investors through financial markets and employ a fundamental, research-oriented, bottom-up approach to investing in private companies and/or third-party venture funds. In addition, the Director will implement those ideas through a highly analytical and detailed approach.
- Superior collaboration skills – The successful candidate will enjoy being an individual contributor within a highly collaborative team and embrace the benefits of overlapping lines of idea generation. The Director will build strong trusting relationships externally with company management teams, industry contacts, clients and prospects as well as internally with colleagues. The ability to take risk and challenge investment views is critical, as is the humility to admit mistakes and desire to learn from others; the Director must recognize the benefits of diverse perspectives. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) action-oriented opinions clearly and with conviction and contribute to an open investment dialogue is important.
- Growth mindset – The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving and growing as an investor is required. The successful candidate will have a global perspective and creative approach for thinking about innovation and the future of private markets.
A successful candidate should have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in a private markets investment role, preferably at a venture capital firm;
- Established industry relationships and network to source deal flow among Black Heritage entrepreneurs and minority owned venture capital funds;
- Ability and track record of generating money making investment ideas in private companies/venture funds;
- Ability leading and collaborating with experienced, cross-functional deal teams;
- Strong bottom-up fundamental approach to research;
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail;
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a collaborative, team-based, results-oriented environment;
- Independence of thought, intellectual curiosity, and an entrepreneurial nature; and
- Strong academic credentials.
If interested, please apply here.