TDK Ventures is looking for an Investment Director to join its investing team to deep-dive into world-changing technologies and solutions. TDK Ventures is the leading award-winning corporate venture capital (CVC) arm of TDK Corporation, with $200M AUM. TDK Ventures is focused on building unique and deep insights, and this relentless quest of quality insights is inspired by our commitment to making better bets on the future. From enabling sustainable energy solutions, to accelerating advanced materials breakthrough, to ensuring wider availability of sophisticated healthcare technologies, our guiding investment principle is supporting entrepreneurs who are dedicated to making the world a better place.
- Research, develop, help articulate and present views on a corporate technology investment strategy in close alignment with strategies and requirements of the various TDK business groups, ultimately building non-obvious insights and compelling investment theses for TDK Ventures and documenting relevant learnings and insights captured during the due diligences
- Proactively expand network in global venture and start-up ecosystem on worldwide basis, building premium relationships to drive high-quality incoming startup projects flow, and ensure highest quality due diligence of potential investments, together with high caliber co-investing partners relevant to each investment
- Define and lead due diligence process priorities in TDK’s long-term strategic spaces, driving material science related technology analysis, product value proposition analysis, business model and strategic/financial valuation, quality intellectual property analysis, and welcoming team reviews and devil’s advocate sessions, ultimately building high-quality investment proposals for TDK Ventures Investment Committee
- Analyze operational forecasts and business strategies of active investments and suggest value-add actions (“TDK Goodness”) when possible and valued by our portfolio companies. Facilitate business partnering arrangements and provide ongoing operational support ultimately helping TDK Ventures Portfolio Companies to succeed.
- Present at relevant industry events and write articles or blogs on topics around TDK’s Strategic Space, Entrepreneurship & Corporate Venturing
The successful candidate for this position must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The qualifications and working conditions listed below are representative of those required for the position.
- PhD in the Sciences, Materials, Engineering, Mechanical or Electrical
- 5+ years venture investment experience at Senior Associate or Principal level
- Experience working with both startup ecosystems and large corporate entities
- Experience in Business Development & Strategy
- Possess an intellectual curiosity and understanding of diverse technologies with an ability to recognize and grasp critical materials science related technology capabilities and potentials
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a dynamic, fast paced environment with multiple teams and functions and across multiple projects
- Broad ability to perform strategic hypothesis brainstorming and evaluate product market fit and market sizing
- Proficiency in modeling company financials and performing valuation analysis
- Proficiency in deal structuring and negotiation
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Excellent analytical, research, and organizational skills
- Self-starter comfortable to contribute at a high level, and engaging with senior executives
- Ability to work with different cultures across the world
- Uncompromising work ethic and attention to detail with strong desire to always learn
TDK Ventures offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, 401(k), life insurance, vacation, and paid holidays.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to by clicking the “Apply” button
If interested, please apply here.