J&J Development Corporation (JJDC) is recruiting for a Venture Investments Director, Medical Devices, located in South San Francisco, California
The Director of Venture Investments will help lead JJDC venture investing by scouting for the best markets and spaces to invest in, building a cohesive medical device investing strategy, helping to manage an existing portfolio of companies and representing the J&J Medical Device sector externally. The role reports into the Vice President, Venture Investments on the West Coast and will be a part of the Johnson & Johnson Global External Innovation Group (GEI). The successful candidate will partner across Jlabs and J&J Innovation Center GEI functions, the Medical Device Sector R&D teams and Medical Device Sector commercial franchises. This role will be in direct support of the GEI strategy to accelerate innovation partnering with JLabs, Innovation Centers, WWD and J&J Sectors to advance the pipeline opportunities. Responsibilities will include maintaining external critical board roles in healthcare technology ventures as well new areas spanning across all sectors.
S/he will create analysis to help define the future of the Medical Device industry; including market analysis, competitive analysis, clinical trends, customer needsS/he will be assuming responsibilities for existing and going forward investments including diligence, detailed assessments, negotiating terms, and closing on funding requirements. Beyond initial investments, will be responsible for managing follow on investments to ensure targeted strategic options are shaped for success.S/he will lead sourcing, equity transaction activities, investment management activities and leverage and share expertise to the internal Medical Device stakeholders and enterprise partners, as needed.Responsibilities also will include assuming board and/or observer responsibilities, and providing the JJDC team with regular updates on progress on milestones progress and shaping on-boarding strategies.S/he will build and maintain networks in the venture capital community, entrepreneurs, startups, incubators and accelerators and other venture organizations that fit the strategic interests of various Groups, to source new opportunities for the sector, and position JJDC as the partner of choice.The Venture Investor will collaborate with other JJDC Venture Investors, internal sector Business Development groups, GEI and R&D leadership and JLABS, External Innovation Teams (New Ventures, Search & Evaluation Scouts) located in the four (4) Johnson & Johnson Innovation Centers, to identify and assess novel innovation opportunities and if equity is selected, lead the JJDC process for potential investment.S/he will collaborate with internal teams to optimize structures for early external innovation opportunities for best overall outcomes for partnership.S/he will maintain the regular monitoring for venture landscape in disruptive business models and health care solutions, venture capital investor portfolios and competitive corporate venture investment activity, and identify trends and areas for shaping new investment areas that could result in new areas for future investment strategies and plans.S/he will manage shaping and formation of new venture-backed startups where spin out of internal technology and/or newco formation have strong strategic interest in later option rights.
Build robust pipeline of investment opportunities to accelerate innovation and GEI initiatives across sectors.Expand and differentiate JJDC’s relationship in venture community and ecosystem of entrepreneurs, intermediaries and business partners.Strengthen overall quality of deal flow and equity investments spawning from GEI and monitor progress on key company/business milestones which lead to on-board (acquisition and integration, licensing deal, partnership) opportunities for J&J.
The Venture Investments Director will combine capabilities in industry knowledge with the business acumen and executive influencing skills to succeed in J&J’s highly collaborative and matrix driven organization. The Director will have superior professional maturity and business ethics.
- Healthcare technology industry experience (broad Medical Devices, understanding of hospital systems, leading surgical interventions, robotics and digital healthcare technology) – is required
- Consumer Healthcare and Pharmaceuticals/Biotech is preferred
- Internal corporate strategy development, consulting or investment banking is preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in a scientific or business field is required. An advanced business degree is preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of managerial/leadership career experience is required.
- 4+ years R&D/BD/marketing experience with medical devices is required
- 2+ years of investment experience (Venture Capital/Private Equity, investment banking, private equity) is required
- Prior experience as an investor from a venture capital, private equity, or corporate venture fund is preferred
- Additional experience could include a demonstrated track record in business development and in a role where this person is conducting corporate transactions and/or debt and equity structuring activities such as M&A, licensing agreements, joint ventures, etc
- Experience in deal-making experience in medical device is preferred
- Ability to travel up to 35% of time required , majority domestic with some international; travel to portfolio investment board meetings
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If interested, please apply here.