FINCA International founded and scaled one of the largest social enterprises in the last 35+ years. FINCA pioneered the use of microfinance for economic development for low-income populations which now operates in more than 20 countries across Latin America, MENA, and sub-Saharan Africa. We are not content to stop there. Driven by technology advancements, we are continuing to grow and innovate microfinance services through digital transformation while investing in social enterprises that deliver basic services to our customer base.
FINCA Ventures is an early stage impact investing fund supporting social enterprises across sub-Saharan Africa. We make equity investments in the Seed or Series A and B rounds of market-based innovators across industries, including energy, agriculture, sanitation, education, and health. We view each of our investments through the lens of how FINCA as a strategic partner can help them grow smarter and faster, and how the social enterprise makes our customer segment more resilient and more productive. We are one of the few strategic corporate investors in the space, and we endeavor to add differentiated value to our portfolio companies by being connected to a global microfinance banking network (20+ countries, 10,000+ employees) and customer base (~2M globally).
FINCA is hiring an Investment Director, with a focus on Global Health,reporting to the Managing Director. In joining this team, you will have an instrumental role in shaping the strategy behind FINCA Ventures, and in bolstering FINCA’s role and impact in ending poverty by supporting world-class social enterprises.
About the Role
- Lead all aspects of the investment process independently, including identifying and managing pipeline, screening opportunities, conducting due diligence, negotiating terms, and writing investment memorandums, with oversight from the Managing Director.
- Develop sector strategies to inform investment theses.
- Set and implement FINCA Ventures social impact strategy and drive continued focus on the social return on investment into all aspects of the firm.
- Structure investments and lead negotiations with potential investees.
- Create and publish thought leadership and serve in visible public facing roles as a representative of the firm.
- Serve as the key contact person for portfolio companies, coordinating post-investment support and representing FINCA Ventures on advisory boards and otherwise.
- Evaluate and refine the investment process to ensure the firm makes regular improvements and delivers on all key operational milestones.
- Manage junior team members and help mentor other staff.
- Assist in fundraising activities as the firm raises its first external capital.
- Manage relationships with external funders, including USAID, other development agencies, foundations and DFIs.
- Represent FINCA Ventures in the marketplace, building trusted relationships with key players in the entrepreneurship and funding landscape.
- Liaise with FINCA staff to ensure portfolio companies can best leverage the full FINCA asset base.
- Work closely with portfolio companies to secure them follow-on capital and, eventually, on ways to secure FINCA Ventures successful exits.
The candidate should possess:
- Masters level degree in business.
- Five to fifteen years of experience, including some combination of principal investing (i.e., VC, PE, impact investing), management consulting, investment banking, and entrepreneurship or startup experience.
- Significant time living and working in emerging markets with substantial exposure to social entrepreneurship.
- Knowledge of relevant industry sector trends with experience in Healthcare preferred. One or more of the following would also be useful: agribusiness, energy, WASH, education, FinTech and technology.
- Key on the ground relationships and networks in emerging markets to source deal pipeline and support existing portfolio companies.
- Superior analytical, quantitative, and business writing skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate investment themes, and perform business analysis, and market assessment.
- Strong project management skills, particularly the ability to work and deliver projects on-time while operating independently and under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead junior resources.
- Strong communication skills with ability present effectively to a range of stakeholders and build rapport.
- Attention to detail and accuracy, and outstanding organization skills.
- Self-initiator with entrepreneurial mindset and ability to work and succeed in a fast-paced, startup environment with limited oversight.
- Cultural sensitivity with ability to interact effectively with colleagues and external partners from diverse backgrounds and multi-cultural environments.
- Genuine commitment to work with early stage and growth companies to build scalable and sustainable social enterprises.
- Intellectual curiosity, tenacity, sense of humor, and creativity / independent thought.
FINCA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
If interested, please apply here.