The Employment Technology Fund (“ETF” or “ETF@JFFLabs”) is an impact investment fund housed with JFFLabs, a subsidiary of JFF. JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all.
As the nature of work changes, businesses can seize the moment to increase their value and improve economic opportunity for their employees. JFFLabs, formed in 2018 as the innovation engine of JFF, mobilizes promising technologies and strategic partners to scale solutions that expand economic advancement for all. We bridge the gap between companies and startups, traditional education and our workforce systems, and investment.
ETF@JFFLabs invests in companies that harness the power of technology and entrepreneurship to improve economic opportunity and mobility for underserved communities.
We are on a mission to seed the most inspirational, uplifting and engaging workforce development and employment technology tools which help improve career pathways and create economic mobility. ETF@JFFLabs is the first impact investment fund to focus entirely on workforce and future of work technologies. The companies we invest in provide access to skills training and opportunities for millions of disadvantaged adults living in the US. Learn more about ETF@JFFLabs here.
About the position:
We are seeking a Director level hire to join our ETF@JFFLabs team. This is an opportunity to be a senior member of a small but growing team. You will have the opportunity to shape many aspects of what we are building. It is very important to us that you believe in our mission, find a genuine joy in serving others, you are passionate about supporting entrepreneurs, and can problem-solve. If you love innovation, an energizing work environment and believe in the power of technology to improve the life opportunities for adults, this could be your dream job.
As one of the most active Future of Work / Workforce Technology impact investors in the market, you can expect to be exposed to lots of exciting work. The companies we invest in are shaping the future of work and providing opportunity to millions – we are excited for what is around the corner. We need your help to grow ETF@JFFLabs to the next level.
What you’ll do:
- Provide input into ETF investment strategy and help lead the management and execution of the ETF and any subsequent/ related funds
- Work with JFF leadership to align the fund’s vision with JFF’s New Horizons strategy ensuring that ETF investments and activities remain aligned with JFF’s mission
- Grow and empower a network of the most promising ventures in the employment technology sector
- Conduct an annual review of ETF portfolio performance to identify and assess investment performance, including social impact metrics such as jobs created, increased income, hours of training, etc.
- Help manage the ETF Advisory Board and Investment Committee meetings
- Provide strategic support to founders and CEOs in the ETF portfolio to more rapidly scale effective solutions, including validating sales/revenue models, making introductions to potential partners, funding pilots to validate measurable impact and improve solutions, and supporting efforts to raise additional capital
Leadership and Team Management
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior investment professionals
- Represent the ETF in high-level public and private forums with potential funders, decision makers, the media, organizational leaders, and other stakeholders
- Work with founding managing director and key partners to develop a comprehensive strategy to raise the profile of the ETF and drive a national narrative around adult employment issues
- Contribute to strategic direction on priority issues for the ETF
Investments and Operations
- Build out our sourcing strategy and deal flow
- Perform market research to help identify investment trends and opportunities
- Research relevant markets and companies
- Create reports and synthesize information from that research
- Engage thoughtfully in company and entrepreneur introductions
- Evaluate and respond rapidly to new investment opportunities, including holding initial screening conversations with startups and evaluating those for fit with ETF
- Present prospective opportunities and deals to our team and Advisory Board
- Conduct rigorous due diligence
- Lead in the investment analysis process by building financial models and analyzing the competitive landscape and size of the market
- Conduct product and technical due diligence as well as talk to existing references and customers of the target company
- Conduct a thorough analysis of intended social impact by target company
- Prepare investment memos
- Present investment memos to Advisory Board
- Portfolio Support and Management
- Identify opportunities that support the success of our companies, such as potential business development partnerships, new hire introductions, sales leads and fundraising support
- Design and execute meaningful, high-value experiences for our entrepreneurs
- Prepare financial and social reporting
Who you are:
- You demonstrate a belief in the organization’s core values and can apply those values to all areas of your work
- You bring 10-15 years of professional experience and a strong interest or experience with impact investing or equivalent combination of education and experience; previous experience in venture capital, private equity, private debt, investment banking and/or impact investing or a combination of workforce development, technology roles
- You have the ability to effectively engage and work collaboratively with governmental and non-governmental organizations, academic and research institutions, funding agencies, private investors, and other institutional partners in developing action strategies and representing the ETF@JFFLabs to internal and external stakeholders
- You have previous experience managing and coaching people and small teams
- You possess knowledge of and passion for using investing as a means by which to engender equity and social impact
- You value diversity, equity and inclusion as an applied practice to all areas of work, including program, partnership and team management
- You demonstrate strong financial and analytical skills
- You have outstanding, demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- You bring a positive, enthusiastic, proactive attitude, with ability to demonstrate humility and a learning orientation
- You have an ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize competing demands with the utmost attention to detail
- You thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast growing environment and demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to do what it takes in a team environment
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
If interested, please apply here.