Cambrian Biopharma is a diversified R&D platform company built on a new model for drug discovery. We partner with leading academic institutions and biotech entrepreneurs all over the world to build start-up companies, providing capital and expertise to advance a pipeline of drug development programs with a shared theme.
Cambrian is unique among biotech companies due to our focus on a specific field of scientific research: the basic biology of aging, also known as geroscience. Drugs that target the Nine Hallmarks of Aging can be exceptionally powerful medicines that could extend the healthiest years of life. Our approach is to build a pipeline that cultivates multiple assets and takes a risk-based approach to drug development, maximizing the odds that Cambrian will create multiple life-changing therapeutics that receive regulatory approval.
Cambrian Biopharma is looking for a brilliant, highly organized, and entrepreneurial Ventures Director to join our growing team. With decades of experience in the space, our diverse team possesses a deep collective understanding of age-related diseases and the future of therapeutics. You will have the unique opportunity to shape Cambrian at an early stage and play a role in potentially the most impactful new area of medicine – therapies that slow and reverse the damage of aging.
The Director will identify geroprotective assets in academia or small startups, negotiate financing and IP deal terms, lead due diligence of the assets and its launching into the Cambrian ecosystem (e.g., developing pitch materials, R&D strategy and budget). The Director will also collaborate with other colleagues and experts on designing and overseeing the execution of preclinical experiments to validate scientific hypotheses, and – where appropriate – serve on the Board of Directors of those companies. This person will be supported by a team of highly engaged colleagues with significant scientific and entrepreneurial experience.
Identifying and Diligencing Potential Pipeline Assets/Companies
- Build a strong external network by establishing relationships with key principal investigators and technology transfer groups at research institutions, and the venture capital investment community
- Closely follow industry trends, including maintaining a thorough knowledge of platforms, targets, and therapeutic approaches in the field of geroscience
- Attend scientific conferences and read academic papers to find interesting new science ready for entrepreneurial translation
- Educate deal sources and scientists/companies about our process and effectively manage relationships
- Perform deep diligence on an asset, leading the biology diligence and coordinating chemistry, IP, and finance diligence from the rest of the Cambrian organization
- Prepare and present scientific and business rationale for any recommendations and transaction proposals to the Cambrian Investment Committee for approval
Overseeing Pipeline Companies
- Identify the milestones and key hypotheses that must be tested in each funding round and jointly plan decisive experiments to test those hypotheses
- Work closely with scientific founders to refine strategy and drive IP strategy, keeping the team and self up-to-date on relevant trends, market landscape, competition, etc.
- Support project management of compliance, consulting, CROs, and other engagements, and problem solve with team to progress the pipeline as needed
- Translate strategy into operational plans, defining the overarching pipeline company goals and KPIs in collaboration with the company’s executive team.
Growing the Cambrian Ecosystem
- Take on mentorship roles for scientist-entrepreneurs looking to start their own companies
- 3+ years in the pharma/biotech/venture capital/management consulting in one the following roles (in order of preference): biotech entrepreneur/operations, therapeutics-focused venture capital, biotech/pharma business development, biotech/pharma strategy consulting
- A graduate degree in life sciences, ideally with a focus in one or more of the mechanisms underlying the biology of aging. In order of preference: PhD, MD, MSc
- Proven ability to manage and negotiate with both academic and industry stakeholders
- Experience with medicinal chemistry, target validation, pharmacology/toxicology, and drug discovery are a plus
- Experience with clinical trials and biopharma equity research is a plus (with the caveat that this job is very heavy on the science)
- You are fascinated by and have a deep interest in the field of aging research
- You have exceptional analytical and conceptual skills (including proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint), particularly as applied to preclinical disease models
- Exceptional EQ and communication skills (both written and verbal) for stakeholders on a spectrum of academic and financial/operational backgrounds
- You can take initiative and have an entrepreneurial spirit. You will have a lot of responsibility from Day 1
- 25% travel expectation to universities and conferences to scout new science, present the science from Cambrian, and build relationships with industry and academia (currently no travel required in COVID)
- Opportunities to shape new and exciting science and build teams that bring novel therapeutics to patients in need
- Exposure to the biotech company life cycle and industry
- A diverse, mission-driven, and entrepreneurial company culture
- Access to our network of international decision-makers and investors
- Competitive salary + equity
- 12 company holidays and an unlimited PTO policy
- Multiple health, vision, and dental insurance plans to choose from, supporting both individuals and families, including no-monthly-premium options
- Ancillary benefits, including pre-tax commuter benefits, access to a HealthAdvocate, a healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and others
IF interested, please apply here.