Bunge (NYSE: BG) is a world leader in sourcing, processing and supplying oilseed and grain products and ingredients. Founded in 1818, Bunge’s expansive network feeds and fuels a growing world, creating sustainable products and opportunities for more than 70,000 farmers and the consumers they serve across the globe. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri and has 25,000 employees worldwide who stand behind more than 350 port terminals, oilseed processing plants, grain facilities, and food and ingredient production and packaging facilities around the world.
The Venture Investment Director role will be a key member of the Bunge
Ventures Investing team. This role will entail end-to-end deal sourcing across
the Agri & Food Value chain and investment case building, deal negotiation
and execution, as well as on-going relationship with PortCo’s including being
a Board member or Observer, delivering on triple bottom line financial,
strategic and commercial value for the BG franchise. Strategic and commercial
engagement with the Bunge commercial team will be a key part of this role.
Key Working Relationships:
- Investing and non-investing team members of Bunge Ventures (BV)
– Commercial leaders across Food, Fuel and Feed – Ag value chain
leaders, BLC, BPI & Fuel Commercial teams and BG Business
- Accounting, Legal (internal and external), HR functions
- Co-investor network, traditional private capital market players,
corporate venture unit leaders in value chain peer groups
- BV Pipeline companies
- Management teams and investor groups in PortCo companies that the
Venture Director has invested in
- BV core Investment Committee and other members of the BG Executive Leadership Team (ELT)
Key position responsibilities:
1. Lead primary and secondary research on specific areas technologies
relevant to the Food & Agri-value chain including market mapping and
macro trends with relevance to BG’s strategic and commercial construct;
make recommendations for areas of focus
2. Leverages own deep external networks to scout, discover and generate
deal flow origination and build intelligence on new Pipeline companies
tracking them for the next financing event. Participate in Conferences,
Pitch events and building network with entrepreneurship programs for
deal flow. Works with the other team members to review deal flow for
relevant opportunities; captures deal flow in our database.
3. Creates enduring partnerships with the various BG commercial businesses
across Agribusiness, Feed, Food, Proteins, Lipids and Fuel – deeply
understanding their strategy & needs and build support for the
Investment pipeline and Projects.
4. Independently lead and perform diligence including but not limited to
review of data room, product-market fit, go-to-market, financial
projections and all other aspects of the diligence and build the investment
thesis and memo for presentation to the BV Investment committee
5. Works closely with both internal & external Bunge Ventures legal counsel
as well with accounting and other appropriate teams to negotiate deal
terms and communicate with PipeCo’s, management teams, Co-investor
network, consultants, advisors and other stakeholders.
6. On-going relationships with PortCo’s to create financial value in the
investment, tracking progress, strategizing exits including taking board
seats or observer roles.
7. Lead commercial integration and strategic insights to the BG commercial
franchise from the investment – both on PortCo’s and PipeCo’s. Glean
strategic insights from the investments and pipeline for BG’s strategy.
Strategic and commercial engagement will be a key ingredient for success
of the role.
8. Provide periodic reviews on PortCo’s as well as broader & emerging
trends in the Food, Ag and Technology value chains and make
presentation to the BV Investment committee, BG ELT and the Board as
9. Provide thought leadership on Bunge Ventures strategy. Assist in building
best in class capabilities, process and talent for the Bunge Ventures team.
Manage Ventures associates and analysts.
10. Any other activities as requested by the CIO & MD, Bunge Ventures
Qualifications, Skills and Experience requirements:
- Master’s or higher in Food & Agriculture or Finance required
- 15+ years previous experience in private capital market
- Investing in Food and Agri in a Corporate or traditional VC/PE
environment with experience in broader technologies and a track record of
wins; Experience in running commercial businesses in Food and Agri
- Board experience: Previous experience being on Boards of High growth
companies as a member or observer
- Financial analysis: Expertise in DCF, valuation and other financial analysis
- Technology: Expertise in Microsoft office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint as
well as other tools
- Demonstrate commitment to Bunge core values
- Entrepreneurship, Driven and a superior work ethic
- Strong communication, planning and organizational skills – ability to
deal with competing priorities, work-in a high-paced & ambiguous
environment and communicate with the CIO & MD, Bunge Ventures
on a regular basis
- Ability to work a Fflexible work schedule based on business needs
- Ability to travel 30-35% of the time
If interested, please apply here.