The Director of Corporate Venture Capital for BIVF US will be responsible for identifying, sourcing and managing biotech equity investments for BIVF US’s investment program. The overall goal of the role is to create strategic options for the future of the BI Corporation to expand into novel therapeutic approaches and businesses with the focus on West/East Coast opportunities, by exploring new, ground-breaking fields, beyond BI’s current R&D focus. This role will work closely and in direct support of the Head of Venture Fund USA to execute investments in private companies in targeted therapeutic areas. It will also will work in close collaboration with external partners as well as executives at Boehringer Ingelheim.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work in close collaboration with Head of Venture Fund US and global Head of Venture Fund to identify target technologies, source deals, build pipeline, and present investments to investment committee (IC). Manage portfolio of investments in collaboration with Head of Venture Fund US.
- Executing the BIVF investment strategy:
- Set and refine the BIVF investment strategy by helping define the focus of investments, financing and exit strategy and strategy to manage portfolio companies
- Represent BIVF US in the venture capital and entrepreneurial community
- Building-up the Portfolio of companies (part 1): identification and suggestions of best investment candidates:
- Establish and maintain academic/ biotech/ VC network, by gaining visibility, trust and respect within those communities
- Establish and manage an efficient evaluation and tracking process
- Scout and screen an adequate number of investment opportunities, with main focus on game-changing potential
- Select an adequate number of excellent investment opportunities for in-depth evaluation
- Proactively network to identify new opportunities as well as build network of trusted, top tier co-investors. Regularly provide updates to executives and key stakeholders on the overall health of the portfolio.
- Building-up the portfolio of companies (part 2): In-depth evaluation and investment decision/ realization:
- Conduct high quality in-depth evaluations, with main focus on Scientific Concept, Management Team and Business terms, and adequate positioning within existing portfolio (Portfolio management)
- Actively contribute to negotiations with target companies and potential co-investors, including negotiation of terms sheet
- Prepare all necessary documents for the Management Committee and the Investment Committee for an investment decision
- Represent BIVF US as Director on the board of portfolio companies, guide and refine the strategy and development of those companies, with the aim of achieving successful returns on investments.
- As Board Director of BIVF, the investment director ensures that the portfolio company adheres to all regulatory requirements comparable to BI Corporation’s standard
- Perform all Company business in accordance with all regulations (e.g. EEO, FDA, OSHA, PDMA, EPA, PhRMA, etc.) and Company policies and procedures. When violations are noted/observed they are to be immediately reported to management. Demonstrates high ethical and professional standards with all business contacts in order to main BIPI’s excellent reputation within the medical and pharmaceutical community.
- Create strategic options for the future of the BI Corporation:
- Propose new strategic directions for the BI Corporation based on i) the acquisition of selected individual portfolio companies, and ii) increasing awareness within the corporation of new therapy concepts and businesses
- PhD from an accredited institution in biology, biochemistry, pharmacy, or veterinarian or MD and/or degree from an accredited institution in business, finance or other relevant area required
- Ten (10) years hands-on experience in pharma research and/or development is required
- Ten (10) years of cumulative work experience in Pharma R&D, Pharma Business Development or Finance desired
- One to two (1-2) years demonstrated venture capital investing or business development experience desired
- Background in or knowledge of technology trends in Pharma R&D required
- Some experience with startup companies, venture capitalists, commercial partnerships, or incubators required
- Capability to create and maintain business relationships
- Strong data, analytics, technology experience and understanding
- Superior analytical skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to think creatively, work in a casual and dynamic global team environment
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in a highly matrixed organization
- History of successful performance
- Proficiency in MSOffice, Outlook and database applications
- Ability to travel (may include overnight travel)
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction. Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)Must be 18 years of age or older
If interested, please apply here.