Applied Ventures (AV) is Applied Material’s Venture Capital Investment Arm and is responsible for sourcing, qualifying, and investing in disruptive companies globally in key investment sectors that deliver both strategic and financial returns for Applied Materials. Key investment sectors include Semiconductors, Display, Materials, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Industrial 4.0, Manufacturing, Life Sciences, Equipment, and Physical Sciences sectors. Investments range from early-stage startups to pre-IPO companies to public companies.
The Applied Ventures Investment Director’s role is for experienced growth-equity / private-equity/ venture capital investors in the broader deep-tech sector. The individual is expected to drive strong strategic and financial returns through investments in promising growth-stage companies across the globe in Applied’s sectors of interest.
- Deal Screening : Source and identify disruptive startups in key investment sectors
- Due Diligence : Provide technical, business, investment, deal expertise and lead the due-diligence (external and internal) process for potential investments.
- Deal Execution : Create and present compelling, detailed investment recommendation decks for approval to Venture Investment Committee (VIC) and work with business units, legal and financial teams to close the deals.
- Portfolio Management: Actively manage investments through life-cycle and exit. Help startups leverage the broader network to help with technology, business development, fund-raising, hiring top talent and exits.
- Internal Business Development . Develop relationships with business units through pre-deal due diligence and post-deal partnership engagements.
- Thought Leadership . Develop domain expertise, maintain investment thesis on transformative technology areas, and communicate to the ecosystem of VCs and startups and internal decision-makers.
- Manage : Mentor and lead Analysts / Associates and work with other AV team members to drive strategic and financial returns.
- Marketing : Market Applied Ventures to the Startup and Venture Investment Community
- Continuous Improvement : Continuously work on improving the Venture process – Sourcing high-quality deals, Diligence, Portfolio Management, Exit Management, Business Development and improving internal tools
- Proven track venture record in relevant investment area in semiconductors, displays, materials, physical sciences, manufacturing sectors (Verifiable Venture Capital or Growth Equity or Private Equity Deal track record is a must)
- Demonstrates expertise in sourcing best deals, picking right investments, serving on boards and driving both strategic and financial returns
- Recognized as an expert and thought leader in the Venture Capital, Growth Equity & Startup community
- Strong Network with the Venture Capital / Growth Equity / Startup / Incubator / Accelerator / Thought leaders / Technical Experts / Sovereign Funds / Funding sources and CEO’s
- Prior startup board experience having a proven track record of helping portfolio companies through ups and downs
- Curious mindset and a demonstrated passion for figuring out how things work
- Extremely detail-oriented; accuracy, thoroughness, and process-oriented
- Self-motivated with the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Should have poise and social skills to source investment opportunities and interact one-on-one with company CEOs, VC community and Applied Materials executives
- Team player without sharp elbows who can work with a broad range of groups and personalities
- Ability to work in a matrix organization and to influence business unit partners in due diligence processes
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, discretion, and initiative
- Strong understanding in fund operations from a portfolio perspective and be able to balance risks between industries, stage in lifecycle and fund’s cash-flow
- Works within Applied Venture’s team environment to achieve strong strategic and financial returns to Applied Materials.
- Directly impacts Applied’s strategic goals (e.g. Creation of New Profitable Business, Increase Market Share, Improve learning)
Education / Experience Qualifications
- Bachelors / Masters / Doctors degree in a STEM or Economics area is a plus
- 15+ years of relevant experience preferred (minimum 8 years of venture / growth equity capital investment experience)
- Venture Capital / Growth-Equity / Private-Equity / Strategy Consulting /Investment Banking / Product Management experience at a top tier firm is a plus
IF interested, please apply here.