The Director / Principal is a part of the American Express Ventures team based either in New York, NY or Palo Alto, CA (visit our website amexventures.com for more on the team). The team invests in and partners with innovative startups to accelerate American Express’ efforts in consumer commerce and B2B services, and to enhance core capabilities such as data analytics and security. Team members work with senior management across the company to execute equity investments and drive partnerships to create value
This team has invested in ~70 companies, supported the launch of over numerous innovative partnerships with startups, and currently manages a portfolio of ~50 investments. We are looking for a Director/Principal who can continue this momentum and help us drive success at scale.
Job Responsibilities: In this exciting opportunity, the incumbent will be an integral part of the Ventures group, to ensure the team continues to drive innovation for American Express and value for our portfolio companies. This role will lead the identification, evaluation and execution of new investment opportunities focusing particularly on consumer fintech, commerce and lifestyle services.
Primary Responsibilities Will Include
- Developing investment theses and conducting market and industry analyses, with a passion for consumer fintech, commerce and lifestyle investments
- Leading the identification, evaluation, execution, and management of investments
- Developing innovative new growth opportunities for American Express, supported by partnerships with startups; this will include identifying the opportunity, building and pitching the business case, developing/executing pilots, and managing our startup partners
- Ongoing monitoring and management of financial performance and strategic relationships with portfolio companies
- Preparing and communicating results and recommendations to investment team and senior business partners
- The role is a multi-faceted one and requires financial, strategic, and interpersonal skill sets
- 7-10 years previous experience must include both financial / deal experience (i.e. investment banking, investing, or consulting) and strategy / partnership experience (i.e. corporate venture capital, consulting, business development)
- Self-starter with interest in corporate innovation, startups, technology, financial services
- Strategic mindset, with the ability to identify and assess key points, implications and recommendations and to provide thought leadership
- Team player with proven ability to influence and collaborate with others to drive results
- Demonstrable leadership, communication & analytical skills
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
IF interested, please apply here.