At Wells Fargo, we want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. We’re looking for talented people who will put our customers at the center of everything we do. Join our diverse and inclusive team where you’ll feel valued and inspired to contribute your unique skills and experience.
Help us build a better Wells Fargo. It all begins with outstanding talent. It all begins with you.
Wholesale Banking provides financial solutions to businesses across the United States and globally. Our four major business lines include Corporate & Investment Banking, Commercial Banking, Commercial Real Estate, and Wells Fargo Commercial Capital. We also have groups in credit risk, group risk, finance, marketing, human relations, and the Wholesale Chief Operating Office that support our businesses.
Wells Fargo Strategic Capital (“WFSC”), a business unit within Wells Fargo Bank, N.A, is a multi-strategy, principal investment vehicle focused on providing equity and second lien debt capital to high growth private companies. WFSC invests capital directly from Wells Fargo’s balance sheet and is a financial investor focused on helping both existing clients of Wells Fargo and companies new to Wells Fargo succeed financially.
The Strategic Partnership Investments group, a sub-division of WFSC, is responsible for investing in fast growing, promising privately held companies that align strategically and/or have a commercial engagement with Wells Fargo. The group leverages equity investments to facilitate early access to emerging technologies and/or business models, generate direct investment returns, and open new pathways to growth opportunities and operational efficiencies. Some of the group’s key investment themes include Capital Markets/Financial Technologies (FinTech), Regulation/Compliance technologies (RegTech), Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence, Big Data Analytics, Payments Systems, and Blockchain/Distributed Ledger Technologies. The group’s strategic goal is to bring in technology-based innovation, help position Wells Fargo for continued leadership, and accelerate the ability to evolve in a dynamic marketplace.
The Vice President position offers tremendous opportunities for a high-energy candidate who is a motivated self-starter and has strong investment credentials. The candidate will interact regularly with external market participants and various internal constituents. The person will be expected to source strategic, venture and growth equity type transactions, support the managing director(s) in evaluating and driving the execution of investments, as well as perform portfolio management, internal reporting and compliance reviews. Additionally, this role requires the ability to engage with lines of business internally to strategically identify opportunities to enhance and improve Wells Fargo wide business process and procedures.
- Support the managing director(s) in investment origination, structuring, and execution
- Ability to present business cases and recommendations to investment committees
- Ability to develop financial models and valuations for investment opportunities
- Work with the core team and legal counsel to structure, negotiate and execute investment agreements
- Assist in managing the portfolio of strategic investments
- Identify investment themes, conduct market sizing and competitive analyses for potential investment opportunities
- Provide market intelligence and insight to line of business senior leadership where appropriate as well as providing high-level perspective to frame issues, business considerations and alternatives for business leader decisions
Team members support our focus on building strong customer relationships balanced with a strong risk mitigating and compliance-driven culture which firmly establishes those disciplines as critical to the success of our customers and company. They are accountable for execution of all applicable risk programs (Credit, Market, Financial Crimes, Operational, Regulatory Compliance), which includes effectively following and adhering to applicable Wells Fargo policies and procedures, appropriately fulfilling risk and compliance obligations, timely and effective escalation and remediation of issues, and making sound risk decisions. There is emphasis on proactive monitoring, governance, risk identification and escalation, as well as making sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit’s risk appetite and all risk and compliance program requirements.
- 5+ years of experience in capital markets, industry experience within the specific sector of the position, or a combination of both
- Ability to interact with integrity and a high level of professionalism with all levels of team members and management
- Ability to work and influence successfully within a matrix environment and build effective business partnerships with all levels of team members
- Advanced Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) skills
- Experience in financial statements, projections and financial modeling
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
Other Desired Qualifications
- Passion for and experience investing in the fintech and technology industry
- Strong familiarity with venture capital/private equity valuation methodologies
- Ability to work independently and thrive in a fast paced, loosely-structured, entrepreneurial environment
- An undergraduate technical degree and/or advanced degree (MBA) is not a requirement for this position but would be looked upon favorably
- At least 7+ years of total work experience
- Up to 20% travel to visit with internal partners, vendors and prospective targets
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
All offers for employment with Wells Fargo are contingent upon the candidate having successfully completed a criminal background check. Wells Fargo will consider qualified candidates with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable local, state and Federal law, including Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
Relevant military experience is considered for veterans and transitioning service men and women.
Wells Fargo is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
If interested, please apply here.