Saudi Aramco is launching a major new global venture capital program with significant focus on the US market. The program will be investing in leading venture capital funds and directly into start-ups in diversified technology sectors, with a pure financial return objective. Investment will focus on high-growth sectors such as consumer, internet, e-commerce, social media, enterprise software, healthcare, fintech, deeptech, etc.
Saudi Aramco’s existing corporate energy venture capital program has established itself since incorporation in 2012 as a global leader in its field, having executed over 30 investments to date, co-invested with leading venture capital and corporate venture capital peers, established a track record of financial returns and deployment of portfolio technologies, and received recognition including the CEO’s Excellence Award and inclusion in Global Corporate Venturing’s ‘Powerlist 100’.
The US investment team is responsible for identifying, executing and managing venture fund and direct venture capital investments for the program in US, and generating an attractive financial return on investment.
- Network and build relationships with leading investors and entrepreneurs in the US venture capital ecosystem
- Source deal flow through conferences, trade press, desk research and professional network
- Assess opportunities rapidly and rigorously to ensure high quality investment decision-making
- Identify and secure attractive funds and ventures for investment
- Develop an “informed perspective” and in-house research reports of assigned sectors
- Lead due diligence processes to validate investment theses and identify potential risk factors, including assess market opportunities, strategies, product, customers, competitors, team, technology and IP, supply chains, legal risks, company governance, etc.
- Validate deals through financial modelling and other reports conducted my junior staff
- Recommend stage-gating decisions for new investments and present opportunities to management
- Lead negotiations with venture capital fund managers, negotiate limited partnership agreements for fund investments in association with counsel
- Lead negotiations with entrepreneurs and investors, and develop term sheets and final transaction documents for direct investments in association with counsel
- Develop investment memoranda for presentation to Investment Committee
- Ensure effective closing processes
Portfolio & Team Management
- Manage relationships with fund managers, entrepreneurial management teams, boards and co-investors, to provide value-add to investees and ensure robust governance practices are in place
- Participate on venture company Boards or in observer positions
- Make and present recommendations for participation in follow-on capital raises
- Provide inputs to periodic reporting on fund and direct venture capital investment performance
- Represent SAEV at networking events and in speaking / panel engagements
- Manage and build brand and relationships with other VC firms, startups, founders, and other members of the venture capital ecosystem
- Manage and develop junior-level analyst and associate staff members
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Finance disciplines from a leading university
- MBA from a top business school or CFA
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint & Excel (including advanced function)
- Ethics – Honest and trustworthy and a model of high integrity
- Problem Solving – Analyze problems in a logical manner and recommend solutions, consider both the long- and short-term impact of proposed solutions and develop workable solutions
- Technical and Commercial Acumen – capability to assimilate the commercial potential of new technologies and identify opportunities and risks, and assess investment opportunities; developing knowledge of core concepts in competitive and market strategy, financial analysis (including experience with cash flow modeling and investment valuation techniques), investment analysis, valuation and due diligence
- Communication – Demonstrate strong oral and written communications skills; challenge ideas and be able to recommend solutions
- Teamwork – Promote achievement of team goals, motivate and support team members; able to build and maintain relationships across cultures and geographies
- Accountability – Take responsibility for actions; deliver high quality work in a timely manner; detail-oriented, self-motivated and proactive
- Minimum 8-10 years’ experience in venture capital, corporate venture capital, corporate development, consulting, investment banking, private equity, start-up leadership or related fields, including significant experience at a top-tier venture capital firm or major corporation venture capital group
- Has board experience and a demonstrated track record in venture capital investing
- Demonstrated experience in selecting, executing and managing Limited Partnership (i.e. fund) investments
- US-related industry or venture investment experience
- International experience or ability to work across international cultures is desirable
If interested, please apply here.