We seek a highly motivated and energetic Associate to join our team in McLean, VA or New York, NY. As an important member of the Capital One Ventures team, associates spend their time partnering with internal stakeholders to identify and validate areas of interest that are relevant to Capital One. Associates will also have the opportunity to evaluate potential investment opportunities, maintain engagement with portfolio companies, and work with senior management across the company to build long-term partnerships. This person maintains a deep understanding of enterprise products and services and has a passion for understanding emerging technologies and trends. This team member is an articulate, professional communicator with the ability to share business and industry knowledge at various levels including the most senior leaders at Capital One. Previous experience or a strong interest in working directly with startup companies and understanding the startup world is highly desired.
As part of the team, you will work to identify internal partners, use cases and technology gaps. You will use this knowledge to search the market, perform due diligence on startup industry segments, and recommend the right startups to relevant internal stakeholders and partners. The role is a multi-faceted one and requires well-developed financial, strategic, and interpersonal skill sets.
Your role will be a combination of both internal (to Capital One) and external responsibilities.
Internal responsibilities include:
- Strategic Communication & Coordination: Develop strong relationships with Capital One business and technology leaders. Understand their strategic priorities, challenges and needs. Serve as a liaison to keep the Ventures team informed of internal priorities, providing ideas and guidance for potential investments. Help disseminate strategic intelligence and learnings from our venture investing activities throughout Capital One.
- Business Development: Work with portfolio companies to develop a deep understanding of their business, technology, and product roadmaps. With this understanding, engage Capital One teams across and business and technology functions to develop new use cases and partnership opportunities.
- Due Diligence: Use your understanding of technology, business models and emerging trends to evaluate potential investments and their ability to deliver strategic value to Capital One. Identify relevant internal technical resources and external consultants, and lead the creation of due diligence artifacts on prospective investments within short timelines.
External responsibilities include:
- Investing: Collaborate with team members to identify, vet, and execute venture investment transactions.
- Community Building: Engage with the startup and tech ecosystem to help build relationships with promising CEOs, investors and portfolio companies’ target customers. Help build awareness of Capital One and evangelize the Capital One Ventures brand in order to increase our network of relationships, reputation and deal flow.
Qualities of Potential Hire include:
- Experience with and strong understanding of technology, especially in one or more of the groups focus areas: fintech, enterprise tech and cloud, big data, cybersecurity, identity, payments
- Self-starter with interest in corporate innovation, startups, technology, financial services
- Hunger to learn about and understand complex technology and business problems
- Strategic and tactical mindset
- Creative thinker and dot connector
- Trustworthy, Influencer, Networker
- Ability to maneuver and drive change in a large organization
- Team player with proven ability to influence and collaborate with others to drive results
- Demonstrable leadership, communication & analytical skills
- Strategic mindset, with the ability to identify and assess key points, implications and recommendations and to provide thought leadership
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 3 years of experience in consulting, investment banking, venture capital, corporate development, business development, select roles in startups.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a technical (Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Operations) or a financial field (Business, Finance, Economics)
- 3+ years of start-up or entrepreneurial experience within one or more of Capital One Ventures focus areas (noted above)
- 3+ years of experience in both financial and deal experience (investment banking, investing) or strategy and partnership experience (corporate venture capital, consulting, business development)
- 3+ years of experience in a financial services related field
If interested, please apply here.