Unite America seeks a Managing Director, Unite America Fund –– a senior position that will lead the fundraising and investment programs of a new political philanthropic venture fund and donor consortium that will accelerate and scale the non-partisan democracy reform movement.
Unite America is a movement of Democrats, Republicans, and independents who are committed to bridging the growing partisan divide in order to achieve a more representative and functional government.
In February 2019, we announced a new initiative in partnership with a major philanthropist to build an unprecedented donor consortium and philanthropic investment fund to significantly scale and accelerate the democracy reform movement –– including supporting structural political reforms, pragmatic candidates in both parties’ primaries, and movement capacity-building.
The Managing Director will lead teams that are responsible for both (i) raising a fund and facilitating co-investments with high net worth philanthropists, family offices, and foundations, and (ii) sourcing, evaluating, implementing, and assessing Unite America Fund grants and investments.
This is a full-time position. The Managing Director will report to the Executive Director and work closely with Unite America’s Board of Directors and Investment Committee. This leader will be based in New York, NY or Washington, DC (although outstanding candidates already based in Denver, CO may not be required to relocate).
- Attract additional investors to Unite America Fund investment opportunities
- Maintain relationships with high net worth philanthropists and investment partners to facilitate continued and aligned investment across an investor community
- Share periodic updates and manage events
- Identify, research, and evaluate high-leverage investment opportunities in ballot campaigns, candidates, and projects to be presented to UA Fund investment committee at regular intervals
- Manage grantee portfolio, monitor performance, and assess results at key milestones
- Develop custom investment portfolios and engage individual investors
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- The ideal candidate has a background in political or advocacy campaigns and possesses a nuanced and sophisticated understanding of the sector.
- Further experience in any or all of the following would be welcome: venture capital, philanthropic grant-making, and non-profit or political fundraising.
- Gifted at relationship building, the candidate is also entrepreneurial, strategic, analytical, and thrives in a demanding startup environment.
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience as outlined above
- Demonstrable track record of success managing political and/or advocacy campaigns
- Exceptional full-cycle investment management skills, from due-diligence /analysis/evaluation through investment execution, impact evaluation
- Competency in effectively managing distributed teams of staff and consultants
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, especially for external engagement
- Standout candidates will have a strong understanding of the democracy reform ecosystem, including partner organizations and major investors
- Ability to travel periodically
If interested, please apply here.