As Nationwide’s corporate venture capital (CVC) team, Nationwide Ventures was launched in early 2016 to invest in startup companies transforming the insurance and financial services industry. To date, Ventures has made eleven investments, including BlueVine, Nexar, Next Insurance, and Insurify. As a key component of Nationwide’s innovation platform, Nationwide Ventures is committed to invest more than $100 million in next generation startups disrupting the industry. This position will be a key member of the Ventures team.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for investment screening, researching and performing due diligence on prospective deals, and transaction execution, project management / support of partnership efforts with Nationwide Venture portfolio companies as well as other InsurTech, FinTech, and adjacent technology startups. Researches new and developing technology areas and startup companies related to Nationwide’s businesses. Works side-by-side with the senior members of the venture team in support of our strategic mission. Performs heavy strategic and tactically oriented research and financial modeling to help support the execution of various investments. Frequently interacts with external stakeholders in the startup ecosystem, as well as internal stakeholders and executives. Contributes to building an investment platform that is focused on leveraging Nationwide’s assets and co-creating value with portfolio companies. Provides insights into emerging technologies, markets, and new business models that affect investment deal flow and that are of strategic importance to Nationwide’s future business models and operations.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to AVP, Venture Capital; no direct reports
Core Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Works as an integral member of Nationwide Ventures team in all aspects of venture capital investment process.
- Supports deal origination efforts; reviews and analyzes business plans; performs business, financial, and industry due diligence on transactions; researches industries and competitors; and documents findings.
- Builds financial and analytical models and conducts sensitivity analyses on prospect investments and portfolio companies.
- Designs and performs various project management duties and activation of operational initiatives related to partnerships and pilots with startup companies and Nationwide.
- Performs in-depth industry, technology, investment, and bench marking examinations and produces written research / analysis and recommendations utilized by Nationwide Ventures and internal stakeholders to support and promote investment theses and strategy decisions. This includes: screening and underwriting memos, white papers, thesis area executive summaries, and marketing presentations.
- Works on team to develop Nationwide Ventures day-to-day operations, reporting, and on-going run requirements.
- Supports operational activities including internal business partner management, internal and external marketing efforts, and participates in conferences and other external events to promote Nationwide Ventures in the entrepreneurial and venture capital ecosystem.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Requirements
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Finance, Computer Science or related technical field preferred. Strong academic performance and demonstrated achievement
License/Certification/Designation: None needed.
Experience: Ideally 2-5 years of prior experience in the entrepreneurial and/or the technology focused ecosystem, or 2-5 years of investment experience focused on equity with an interest or focus on technology. Strong analytical and modeling skills developed through real-world experience in a related role in venture capital, strategic consulting, investment banking, equity research or business or corporate development.
Behavioral Competencies: Strong relationship building capacity. Ability to dynamically prioritize deliverable as needed and in extremely fast-changing environment. Highly analytical and detail oriented. Learning / growth focused personality.
Knowledge: General entrepreneurial strategy and technology related. General understanding of investment processes and valuation methodologies. Knowledge of financial services, banking, and insurance a strong differentiation
Skills/Competencies: Strong financial, analytical, and quantitative skills and proficiency in spreadsheet modeling. Cross-disciplinary experience and interest in Marketing, Finance, Strategy, Accounting, Technology, and HR. Ability to learn new subject matter / industries quickly. Delivers high quality work product in line with all commitments that is supported by fact-based analysis. Experience building and maintaining relationships at all levels, including senior executives and market / industry experts. Interest in early stage companies, growth equity, and impact investing. Ability to work on a team under tight deadlines in a fast paced and rapidly changing environment. Project management experience or exposure. Excellent oral and written communications. Willingness and ability to travel.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
If interested, please apply here.