Alumni Ventures Group is searching for a Principal at Strawberry Creek Ventures who will serve as a key member of the investment team, working closely with the Managing Partner to lead sourcing and investment activity and contribute to the overall growth of this annual fund.
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing company with over 100 employees across the country dedicated to growing and engaging with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs disrupting the status quo in order to build a better future. AVG provides accredited investors with the smartest, simplest way to own a high-quality, actively indexed venture portfolio. Today, we serve roughly 4,000 investors, hundreds of startups, and a community of over 500,000 stakeholders across the country. Our corporate headquarters in Manchester, NH provides support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Menlo Park and Austin.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Today, AVG delivers a direct-to-client approach to thousands of accredited individual investors. Our product is simple: actively indexed VC portfolios. These portfolios are diversified across stage, sector, geography, and primarily co-invested with top-quartile VC firms across the country. AVG’s Core Funds engage alumni of top colleges and universities to invest in these portfolios on an annual basis.
Success for AVG’s Principal at Strawberry Creek Ventures (SCV) will be achieved through the ongoing improvement of SCV’s access to, selection and execution of high-quality venture deals, as Strawberry Creek Ventures represents significant opportunity within AVG’s model, thereby setting the pace for deal flow and quality across the organization. Additionally, Principals at AVG contribute to the further development of their fund and the greater organization, making meaningful contributions that improve brand awareness of Strawberry Creek Ventures and AVG and deepen relationships within the startup and venture capital ecosystem. Investment team members work closely with colleagues at sibling funds across the country and with AVG’s Office of Investment and leverage resources from across the AVG organization. The Principal at Strawberry Creek Ventures will report to the Managing Partner and will be based in AVG’s Menlo Park, CA office and requires about 15-20% travel to as necessary to fulfill the expectations of the role.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
In addition to salary:
Equity in AVG
Comprehensive Benefits and Wellness plan including Health, Dental, Vision
Paid parental leave
401K Retirement plan
Unlimited Time Off
- Strong understanding of venture capital investing and company evaluation
- Networking and relationship management capabilities that result in access to a high volume and variety of deals at all stages
- Growth mindset, continually seeking to improve process in ways that increase efficiencies and serve desired outcomes
- Fluency in financial services and professional wealth management
- Demonstrated personal and/or professional interest in startups and entrepreneurship
- Orientation towards “roll-up-your-sleeves” execution
The ideal candidate will satisfy all of the requirements below, and serious applicants will satisfy most requirements and have professional exposure to all below.
- 3+ years of venture capital or relatable alternative asset investing experience
- Successful tenure in a senior contributor with a startup organization and/or venture backed, growth-oriented company
- Demonstrated sales capabilities, leveraging personal/professional networks and relationships to gain access to exclusive opportunities
- Exposure to or experience in client-facing sales or customer service work, ideally with high net-worth individuals.
- Comfortability in an entrepreneurial, startup working environment.
OUTCOMES & RESPONSIBILITIES (First 12 Months)
Under the direction of the Managing Partner, the Principal at Strawberry Creek Ventures will execute on AVG’s Investing Playbook to ensure a quality annual portfolio and the continued development of Strawberry Creek Ventures and AVG’s position in the venture capital eco-system, indicated by the increased quantity and quality of deals considered and ultimately invested in at SCV, along with improved co-investing with sibling funds and the Principal’s contributions to the development of Strawberry Creek Ventures through brand and network building.
Responsibilities in achieving the above outcomes include, but are not limited to:
- Engage a network of startup and venture capital professionals and Harvard alumni to gain information on and access to a high number of venture investing opportunities, improving the quantity and quality of deal flow to Strawberry Creek Ventures
- Identify, engage in, evaluate and present on deal opportunities for Strawberry Creek Ventures that meet the criteria of AVG’s investment mandate and deliver on commitments to The Yard’s Limited Partners
- Successfully manage external relationships to benefit AVG’s position in the market and overall investing opportunities while improving brand recognition for Strawberry Creek Ventures and AVG in the startup and venture eco-system
- Educate deal sources, companies, entrepreneurs, venture professionals and other stakeholders on AVG’s value proposition, model and process
- Build strong relationships and work closely with colleagues at all sibling funds across AVG to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Serve as a role model and mentor to all AVG team members, specifically to Investment Team members at sibling funds as well as to Venture Fellows
- Partner with the MP and Principal to ensure efficient and effective relationships with Strawberry Creek’s Investment Committee members and Venture Fellows.
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture and team, role modeling AVG values and working consistently toward North Stars
If interested, please apply here.