The Venture Principal is responsible for sourcing, evaluating, negotiating, structuring, and implementing technology investment opportunities for Shell with the objective to improve Shell’s access to innovative technologies and to accelerate the deployment of new technologies in Shell. Shell Ventures is Shell’s in-house Venture Capital Fund for minority investments in exciting technology start-up companies. This role blends technology, commercial, and financial elements where the Venture Principal takes an investment opportunity from “cradle to grave” from scouting and delivery to implementation within Shell to successful financial exits and returns. The Venture Principal is expected to actively manage the investment as member of the Board and/or as Shell’s shareholder representative.
- Use external networks (with start-ups, VC funds, competitors, major resource holders and suppliers / service providers) and internal networks to source compelling investment opportunities that provide access to technologies which create a competitive advantage to Shell
- Help develop a world-class partnering proposition and reputation for working with start-ups and VC’s
- Validate and structure collaboration opportunities (e.g. joint development agreements, licensing, demonstration projects, investments, JV’s, etc.) that accelerate the deployment of technologies in Shell operations
- Review the value of the technology to Shell and the addressable market within Shell, in close collaboration with the potential ‘users’ of the technology
- Be a credible spokesperson for Shell’s wider innovation efforts in communications with the external world (conferences, B2B meetings, etc.)
- Lead all phases of deal delivery of investments in technology start-ups, including transaction structuring and negotiations
- Use networks inside and outside Shell to support due diligence
- Lead virtual deal teams consisting of Finance, Legal, IP, Technical, Tax, etc.
- Act as Board Director, observer, or Shell’s shareholder representative during implementation (post-deal) to protect Shell’s investment; ensure portfolio company delivery on targets, and ensure compliance with SGBP, ABC, and HSSE standards
- Contribute to quarterly reporting to the Shell Ventures Review Board on the performance of portfolio companies
- Help secure and drive deployment and pilot opportunities within Shell
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In the US, we have operated for over a century and are a major oil and gas producer onshore and in the Gulf of Mexico, a recognized innovator in exploration and production technology, and a leading manufacturer and marketer of fuels, natural gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future. Because remarkable people achieve remarkable things.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelors degree in Business, Finance, Economics, or another relevant discipline; MBA or other advanced degree is preferred
- 5+ years of Ventures experience, preferably within the Technology realm
- Demonstrated deal experience as a primary tracker, including in-person negotiations and execution
- Financial acumen with the knowledge of valuation techniques and financial analysis of companies
- Ability to develop opportunities and make decisions in an environment of uncertainly and limited data
- Experience working with entrepreneurs and venture capital or share an entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent relationship management skills for engagement with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to regularly travel 10-15%
If interested, please apply here.