Shell Technology Ventures (STV) is Shell’s corporate venture capital group. The goal of STV is to make minority investments in early stage companies relevant to Shell’s current and future businesses and customers. STV fuels innovation through our portfolio companies by delivering new technological solutions to Shell businesses to improve operations and tap new markets. STV invests in cleantech, oil & gas and mobility related opportunities.
For our new office in San Francisco, STV is recruiting a Senior Venture Principal responsible for sourcing, evaluating, negotiating, structuring and implementing venture investment opportunities. The Senior Venture Principal role is equivalent to a “Partner” at a mainstream venture capital firm.The candidate will manage investments from sourcing and assessment through negotiation, investment and portfolio management. As a foundational member of the new STV office in California, the Senior Venture Principal will play a strong role in mentoring and coaching colleagues, building a positive team environment, positioning STV as a go-to, top-tier investor for the highest impact energy and mobility startups, and engaging with media and other external parties as an embassador of Shell to the Silicon Valley ecosystem.
- Source investment opportunities through your network that have the potential to transform energy and transportation markets.
- Perform due diligence and develop the strategic investment case, including assessment of the value of the solution to Shell in close collaboration with Shell businesses and technology groups. Lead virtual Shell deal teams including representatives from various functional support groups including finance, legal, etc.
- Structure and negotiate the terms of the investments (STV leads investments and follows other VCs depending on deal dynamics). Validate and structure collaboration opportunities (e.g. joint development agreements, licensing, demonstration projects, investments, JV’s) that accelerate the deployment of technologies in Shell operations.
- Build a network internal to Shell including Shell R&D departments and business units to source opportunities, validate strategic relevance of investments, and inform technology and business innovation strategy.
- Position Shell as a world-class corporate investment partner for startups and VCs.
- Be a credible and compelling spokes-person for STV and the wider Shell Innovation group by speaking at conferences, authoring thought-pieces, hosting events, engaging with media, etc.
- Support the post close management of investments which can include taking a position as Board Director or Observer. Contribute to reporting on the performance of portfolio companies.
- Travel frequently to Europe to establish an internal network in Shell.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physical sciences or related field. An additional degree in business administration is preferred.
- At least 7 years of experience in venture capital at a (corporate) VC with a focus on software and/or energy, transportation, cleantech. Demonstrable experience with all aspects of venture capital from due diligence to deal structuring, negotiations and post close deal management.
- Strong and recent professional network relevant to aforementioned areas translating into the ability to source high impact investment opportunities in the near term and build investment syndicates
- Demonstrated ability to follow investments through from sourcing to post close management in complex multi-stakeholder environments and comfortable working across time-zones. Ability to quickly develop a sophisticated understanding of a new business environment and establish credibility with stakeholders.
- Mastery of valuation techniques and financial analyses of companies, ability to interpret financial statements balance sheets, income statements, cash-flow statements.
- Experience with holding multiple Board Director and Observer positions.
- Experience working at or with large corporations
- Demonstrable expertise in energy technology assessment, professional experience in a technical or operational role in the energy industry preferred. Recognizable by internal stakeholders as someone that knows the industry and is familiar with the operational & technical challenges facing the industry. Understands how technology or new business models can unlock new opportunities.
If interested, please apply here.