Saudi Aramco Energy Ventures’ (SAEV) role is to manage the strategic corporate venture capital program of Saudi Aramco, the national oil company of Saudi Arabia and the world’s leading integrated energy and chemicals enterprise. SAEV’s mission is “to invest globally in start-up and high-growth companies with technologies of strategic importance to Saudi Aramco, to accelerate their development and their deployment in the Kingdom”. SAEV is a leading corporate venturing program globally and within the energy industry, and aims to be seen as a leading value-adding strategic investor in the global venture capital community. SAEV has executed over 30 investments to date, has co-invested with leading venture capital and corporate venture capital peers, has established a track record of financial returns and deployment of portfolio technologies, and has received recognition including the CEO’s Excellence Award and inclusion in Global Corporate Venturing’s ‘Powerlist 100’.
SAEV’s investment team is responsible for identifying, executing and managing investments for the program, ensuring strategic relevance of technologies to Saudi Aramco and generating an attractive financial return on investment. SAEV has adopted an activist investment strategy, commonly leading and structuring its investment transactions, and commonly taking a board seat or board observer positions in its portfolio companies. The investment team also supports SAEV’s business development team in driving the adoption of technologies in Saudi Aramco. SAEV focuses on the investments in the following sectors; upstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals renewable energy, energy efficiency and water technologies, including related areas such as materials, information technology or ‘IR4.0’ technologies applicable in Saudi Aramco’s global operations.
You will support the Chief Investment Officer in interfacing between regional investment teams and head office management and SAEV Investment Committee. Participate in negotiation strategies related to new investments, follow-on investments, portfolio management, and exit, and recommends investments and shareholder actions to SAEV CIO. You will lead assessments of technologies, competitive landscaping, value to the parent company, and sizing of internal market opportunities.
- As the successful candidate you will have a Bachelor and Master’s degree, preferably combining engineering/science and management/finance disciplines from a reputable university. Professional certifications in desired skills areas is an advantage. i.e. CFA or equivalent.
- You will have a minimum of ten years’ experience combining venture capital, corporate venture capital, corporate development, consulting, investment banking, private equity, start-up leadership or related fields, with a minimum of five years in venture capital or corporate venture capital.
- You must be able to demonstrate investment experience across the full venture investment life-cycle and have the ability to work across international cultures as well as between corporate and start-up company cultures. An understanding of technical and market trends in the energy sector is a must.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Interface with regional investment teams and maintain alignment and effective working relationships.
- Participate in stage-gating decisions for new investments and contribute to opportunity prioritization, negotiating positions and diligence planning.
- Participate in critical discussions with corporate business units to ensure strategic alignment and technical evaluation of opportunities.
- Review term sheets for new investments. Review Investment Memoranda for recommendation of investments to Investment Committee.
- Oversee the coordination of presentations to Investment Committee.
- Oversee transaction closing processes, ensuring compliance with SAEV investment process.
- Maintenance of SAEV shareholder register and filing of critical investment documents.
- Manage RoW direct investment activity and global fund investment activity.
If interested, please apply here.