Our Financial Inclusion team at Omidyar Network (www.omidyar.com) pursues venture investments in innovative technologies that promote financial health and inclusion globally. We believe that when people can save, send and receive money safely, and have access to affordable credit and insurance services, they are better positioned to protect themselves from economic shocks, build assets, and invest in a better future. We leverage our capital principally through venture investments to scale innovative solutions. To expand our understanding and positively influence the global financial services ecosystem, we selectively deploy grant dollars. Our portfolio includes companies working across several geographies and subsectors. Recent activity includes investments in companies such Chime, Kin, United Income, eCM and Propel and policy or research grants for ecosystem development such as Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI) and FinRegLab, the first of its kind industry-led regulatory sandbox in the US.
We are seeking an Investment Principal to join our team based in Redwood City, primarily focused on our Financial Inclusion investments in the U.S., building on our existing portfolio in the region. We work with innovative and technology-driven startup companies and on a range of research and policy-initiatives.
The candidate will be primarily responsible for deal sourcing, assessing business plans, performing research / competitive analysis / due diligence, deal execution, portfolio management and policy advocacy. Such for-profit investments and select grants opportunities will be deployed to strengthen the financial health of US consumers.
This position will contribute to all the above priorities, with an emphasis on for-profit investments at the frontier of the field in the U.S.
The candidate will work closely with the global Financial Inclusion team in aligning the initiative’s global strategy with the regional strategy. There is potential for upward mobility with this position. This individual’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Develop industry relationships and build a pipeline of potential investment leads
- Support due diligence efforts – review business plans and conduct competitive analysis
- Support deal execution – develop investment thesis, build financial models and prepare investment memoranda
- Participate in developing investment strategies for the sector
- Portfolio Management
- Provide analytic and strategy support to ON funded organizations as needed
- Conduct market research and keep current with industry trends and competitive landscape
- Sector level and Policy Engagement
- Engage with existing banks and facilitate alliances between start-ups and banks
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- 10 years of business/ investing experience conducting company evaluation and financial analysis, ideally in an operational role in a financial services firm or at a top tier venture firm, investment bank or management consultant.
- MBA ideally in a field of study with analytic/technical focus
- Experience working in / with companies in: financial institutions, payments and online financial services, fin-tech
- Demonstrated ability to formulate a clear investment thesis, and make accurate judgement calls drawing on prior investment, and/or operating experience
- Strong analytic, strategic thinking and project management skills
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Comfort with working in a highly collaborative environment
- Prior demonstrated interest in / experience with social entrepreneurship and creating positive social impact
If interested, please apply here.