Chevron is one of the world’s leading energy companies, with approximately 60,000 employees working in countries around the world. We explore, produce and transport crude oil and natural gas; refine, market and distribute fuels and other energy products; manufacture and sell petrochemical products; generate power; and develop future energy resources, including biofuels and geothermal energy.
The successful candidate will evaluate, source, prosecute and facilitate management of early-stage company investments as Venture Principal or Venture Executive in Chevron Technology Ventures (CTV) Venture Capital group.
CTV champions the innovation, commercialization and integration of emerging technologies into Chevron. We identify technology advances that could strengthen our core operations and lead Chevron to new opportunities for growth. Through our technology teams and venture capital group, we scan the globe for technologies that can yield strategic and financial value. We also look for pioneering startup companies whose technologies could enhance the way Chevron produces and delivers energy. CTV can invest in companies at any phase in the development cycle, from providing early-stage seed investment to offering capital for full-scale commercialization.
The corporate venture capital group within CTV was formed in 1999 and utilizes an industry leading, world-class corporate venture capital process. This activity complements other technology sourcing activities within Chevron under the corporation’s leveraged research and development model. We invest in technology companies directly and indirectly through other venture capital funds. Although we want to be among the first to take advantage of important innovations, we also look for superior financial returns.
Our knowledgeable team of professionals has extensive experience in the energy industry as well as venture investment. Located in Houston, Texas, the team screens over 400 opportunities a year and manages more than $350 million in strategic investments. We stay abreast of developments across the entire technology spectrum. We understand the broad scope of Chevron’s operations and their need for the latest, most efficient technologies. We work closely with our portfolio companies, as they push hard to transform their promising new ideas into full-fledged, sustainable businesses.
Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Conduct financial, management and technology screening and detailed due diligence for additional investments. Proven analytical ability for financial analysis; ability to review and digest complex legal agreements is required.
- Interact with a large network of external company industry executives and venture capital contacts. Interact with portfolio companies as Board Observer, as needed, to maximize portfolio company value both the portfolio company and to Chevron.
- Be a technology scout and source technology to Chevron from external companies and venture fund portfolio entities. Have a deep curiosity for technological advancements; leverage proven position as implementer of new technologies to understand the hurdles in adoption and utilize the knowledge and experiences already gained to evaluate numerous technologies in a very high velocity work environment.
- Develop and maintain deep understanding and appropriate documentation of current technological pain points and business unit strategies within Chevron. Source external technologies addressing these constraints through external networking and the use of databases and Venture Capital Limited Partnerships. Facilitates introduction, assessment, and deployment of new technologies. Represents venture group and OpCo BU’s needs and position in significant business discussions with management. A well-developed technical network is therefore required.
- Master’s degree in a technical field and MBA or law degree
- A minimum of 10 years of industry experience with 5 years experience in Venture Capital and startup ecosystem is required
- MBA or law degree preferred
- Oil and Gas industry experience preferred
- A formal training in legal structures is preferred.
If interested, please apply here.