Centrica plc, (LinkedIn) a FTSE 100 company, has operations in UK, North America and Europe. With 30+ million customer-product relationships, Centrica’s vision is to become the leading integrated supplier of energy and related services for its chosen markets and maximise value to shareholders. Centrica’s brand names include British Gas, Direct Energy (North America). At Centrica, our purpose is to help people today and secure energy for tomorrow.
The Venture Principal is a critical contributor to the Centrica Venture team ensuring the deployment of £100m in Venture and Innovation investments. The Venture Principal will play a crucial role in defining the Centrica Innovation strategy and help develop an entrepreneurial mindset within Centrica.The Venture Principal role is equivalent to a “partner” at a mainstream venture capital firm, and will source and manage investments from deal-flow and filtering through to negotiations, investment and portfolio management (acting as a board observer/member and/or Centrica’s shareholder representative). The Venture Principal plays a strong role in mentoring and coaching colleagues with less venturing experience. He/she will contribute strongly to a positive team environment, whilst helping to challenge and improve investment proposals from others in the team. Towards external partners (VC firms, start-ups and corporate-) he/she will help position Centrica Innovations as a preferred investment partner and reliable source of industry knowledge and contacts.
- Responsible for sourcing, evaluating, negotiating, structuring, presenting and implementing Venture investments.
- Cultivate and utilize external networks (including VC firms, accelerators, corporates, universities, etc.) and internal networks to source investment opportunities that support CI’s strategy
- Be a spokesperson for CI and the wider Centrica.
- Venture Principal plays a strong role in mentoring and coaching colleagues with less venturing experience.
- In selective cases, act as a Board observer and/or Centrica shareholder representative to add value to portfolio companies and maximize Centrica’s investment.
- Input and coordinate the portfolio performance reporting.
- Work closely with Technology and Engineering Strategy and the Business Units to help secure and drive commercial pilot or deployment opportunities.
- ‘Entrepreneurial spirit’, a self-starter who is willing to explore the ‘unbeaten path’. (1) Born optimist, (2) pragmatic, (3) cares, (4) always questioning how it can be done better, (5) always willing to learn, (6) takes calculated risks and (7) above all has an ability to execute.
- Ability to evaluate technologies or business models in a pragmatic and rational manner in conjunction with the user or expert in that field.
- Ability to prioritise, manage complexity effectively and provide clear leadership.
- Ability to influence, motivate and inspire the wider organisation at all levels and play a mentoring role where required for senior management.
- Excellent relationship management skills. Ability to tactfully engage with internal and external stakeholders, including the Global Functions, the Technology Platforms in R&D, and the Businesses.
- Executive presence required vis-à-vis entrepreneurs, start-up CEOs, co-investors and corporate partners.
- Possess a strong combination of analytical skills and emotional intelligence.
- Experience understanding where/how technology or new business models can address key challenges in the business whilst having the ability to balance strategic imperative with financial returns.
- Strong commercial acumen and ability to communicate clearly at various levels of a large organization.
- Coaching mind set rather than a directive mind-set.
- Finance / economics / accounting education preferred.
- Technology background is a plus.
- Graduate education required and MBA is preferred.
- Significant Commercial deal making experience.
- Experience in M&A or principal investing with a preference for venture capital or private equity experience.
- Experience in valuations and execution of technology investments or acquisitions.
- Experience in working with entrepreneurs and management teams.
- Experience evaluating new technologies and their commercial application.
If interested, please apply here.