About the role
As a key member of the PS&D resources pool you may be assigned to other projects which relate to broader PS&D activities, directed at framing analysis, evaluating strategic options and informing recommendations for critical business decisions. Applications are welcome for a range of international locations.
BHP Ventures is a dedicated internal venture capital investment program established to build and develop a portfolio of technology, capabilities and insights that collectively help accelerate BHP’s innovation activities today and provide optionality to position the company to thrive for decades ahead.
BHP Ventures is accountable for the following:
- Working with internal teams across Assets and Functions to generate ideas and progress opportunities that would further drive BHP’s most important strategic priorities;
- Establishing deep, external sourcing networks to attract compelling investment opportunities to deliver its mandate, including in early-stage technology companies, third party fund managers and ecosystem partnerships;
- Quickly assessing and filtering such opportunities, having regard to our investment criteria;
- Seamlessly executing investments in selected companies with a view to generate strategic value for BHP and achieve solid financial returns;
- Managing its portfolio to ensure optimal outcomes for BHP and for our portfolio companies;
- Sharing insights on technology trends and market analysis across BHP to better inform our decision-making;
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders; and
- Selecting, engaging and managing advisory relationships.
Your Key Responsibilities will include:
- An overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development;
- Ensuring alignment with, and compliance to, Our Requirements relevant to the area of responsibility;
- Participating in and supporting investment processes from end-to-end, including opportunity identification, pipeline management, initial screening, detailed due diligence, transaction execution and ongoing portfolio management;
- Undertaking independent research into technology areas in which BHP Ventures could target through its investments;
- Assessing the attractiveness of potential opportunities, having regard to the strategic value BHP could realise through an investment and the commercial appeal of the investment;
- Leading transaction execution team by harnessing the insights and participation of key internal business stakeholders and potentially external advisors as relevant;
- Supporting ongoing portfolio management and follow-on funding rounds;
- Mentoring team members on key aspects of transaction execution;
- Developing key relationships with Group, Region and Asset Leaders and presenting, and influencing, these stakeholders;
- Preparing high impact and concisely written reports, internal memoranda and presentations to provide insights to senior management, Directors and other relevant stakeholders and to assist with executive decision making; and/or
- Providing support in the selection of external advisers.
You are a careful listener but you always have an opinion or point of view, which you are comfortable openly sharing and refining. You understand the value of relationship and drive yourself to build your own broad network. You have refined emotional quotient to understand people as much (if not more) than spreadsheets and documents.
The ideal candidate will have previous direct investing experience in a relevant discipline, or relevant transaction advisory or consulting experience gained in venture capital, private equity, investment banking or strategy consulting. The ideal candidate will also have relevant advanced educational qualifications preferably related to Technology, Materials Science, Engineering, Geology, Metallurgy, Environment, Finance and/or Law.