NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that supports and invests in promising and innovative education entrepreneurs and leaders, and helps them accomplish their missions to achieve outstanding results for the schools, students and educators they serve. We are committed to helping students graduate high school prepared and inspired to achieve their most ambitious dreams and plans. Through our investing, management assistance, network building, and thought leadership, NewSchools helps to reimagine PK-12 education.
For an overview of the Ed Tech investment area, please visit our website.
As a member Ed Tech team, the Associate Partner will be a key part of our efforts to find, fund, and support promising for-profit and nonprofit ed tech entrepreneurs developing digital tools that support teaching and learning in PK-12 schools. The position will report to the Managing Partner and be located in our Oakland office.
The Associate Partner’s responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Address Critical Needs of our Ventures
- Work closely with ventures to assess their needs and provide management assistance in key areas, including but not limited to business planning, product design, and strategic decisions
- Seek opportunities to partner with external organizations and advisors that have expertise in areas of shared need among ventures
- Support Investment Process
- Provide support across the full continuum of the investment process – recruitment, diligence, selection, and ongoing management assistance
- Prepare investment memos for leadership and board approval
- Manage internal processes to ensure that we are coordinated, effective and efficient
- Support Research, Learning and Data Collection Efforts
- Manage data collection process for our ventures; analyze information and make recommendations based on findings
- Support Director of Research & Learning on research efforts related to our portfolio
- Develop thought leadership pieces (e.g. blogs, special reports) and represent us at conferences and events
- Contribute to development activities (e.g. report writing, data collection)
- Assist in planning and executing the annual NewSchools Summit, and attend other conferences that are related to NewSchools’ work
- Support Additional Organizational and Team Activities
- Assist team members in planning and executing events that bring together members of our portfolio for knowledge sharing and collaboration
- Support fundraising efforts by preparing grant proposals, reports and funder presentations
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated commitment to serving underserved communities
- Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
- Broad knowledge of education reform history and trends
- Specific knowledge of education technology trends
- Strong strategic thinking, quantitative, and qualitative analytical skills
- Proficiency in financial modeling and financial statement analysis a plus
- Effective project manager with attention to detail and ability to drive to completion
- Willingness to own high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
- Comfort and ability to manage multiple priorities amid ambiguity
- Proven ability to develop and present professional materials (e.g. spreadsheets, written memos, presentations)
- Ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with a wide variety of stakeholders, built on trust, respect, clear communication and shared goals
- Personal presence and communications skills necessary to effectively interact with external stakeholders
- Deep competency with PowerPoint, Word, Excel
Education and Experience
- Minimum 6 years of experience with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility
- Experience in consulting, business development and/or product management within a technology context strongly preferred
- Finance, management consulting, teaching, education technology, research and entrepreneurial experience are all valued
We make a competitive compensation package available to all employees, including base salary, performance bonus, professional development, and complete benefits.
Please be prepared to upload a cover letter and resume, as well as 2-3 writing samples.
NewSchools Venture Fund is an equal opportunity employer. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
If interested, please apply here.