We’re offering a a 2–3 year education in venture capital. You’ll be based in London, should expect to travel across Europe, and be exposed to a huge range of technology markets and startups. You will become an integral part of our investment team. What happens after that will be down to you: maybe you’ll join one of our portfolio companies, work on your own startup or, if you discover you love investing as much as we do, continue as a venture capitalist.
Your primary role will be to help find and evaluate startups for investment by Mosaic. Each month we intersect with a huge number of businesses, many which approach us, and the first challenge is to figure out which we should spend time considering. It’s essential to prioritize, filter and assess quickly and thoroughly.
We don’t wait for the pitches to roll in, however. More important is the outbound work, thematic research, and building relationships with the most ambitious founders across Europe before they’re necessarily planning a fundraise. We’re a small team with a lot of ground to cover, we don’t often miss something great but we all take it personally if we do.
As for the people, you’ll be joining three co-founders with decades of experience as investors and operators in Europe and Silicon Valley and a talented group of Associate Partners. We founded Mosaic in 2014 as a small, collegiate partnership by design, and you can expect an open and straightforward culture. Also important, our values drive our behaviour and the same goes for everyone on our team. Our style is socratic, no-nonsense and collegiate, so being able to challenge others and defend your opinions is essential. Everyone at Mosaic looks out for each other, and we laugh a lot too.
Day-to-day as a Mosaic Associate Partner you can expect to:
- Meet with entrepreneurs and businesses.
- Research potential investments, that will likely require testing products and services, or scenario brainstorming (e.g. what does Mosaic have to believe for this to become an important, valuable business; what are the biggest risks?)
- Support due diligence through the investment process, including market work, reference calls, analysis of unit economics, etc.
- Support Mosaic portfolio companies as they grow their business. This could include analysing competitors, market opportunities or attending board meetings.
There’s also an internal element:
- Our own investors are central to what we do, and you’ll take part in keeping them informed, helping to prepare materials for quarterly updates and our annual meeting.
- Designing and executing projects such as thematic events to help Mosaic and/or our portfolio companies.
The person we’re looking for:
- Has passion for and real understanding of the ecosystem of web and mobile services.
- Is deeply familiar with Internet-related technologies and product. We expect curiosity, someone who naturally spends their spare hours learning and looking at new and innovative stuff that can impact the way we live and work
- Will be a driven self starter. Your work and time is open-ended by nature, and you must be able to identify and execute on opportunities to contribute to the team with modest management/direction.
- Has strong written and oral communication skills, able to hold your own and represent Mosaic. You’ll also be organised, juggling a lot of balls in the air.
- Enjoys working in Excel, Google Docs (analysing data is an important part of what we do) and a variety of other online services.
- Is highly motivated and thrives in a small, relatively unstructured office environment. There are peer Associates Partners alongside whom it’s important you work as a team, but we are kind of a startup ourselves, and everybody hustles.
First and foremost you will have a love for technology and the world of startups, preferably demonstrated through your past work, and at the very least by meaningful current involvement with the Internet ecosystem. We are happy to consider folks ranging from two-year college graduates, to those with a graduate degree and/or more years of relevant work experience. It’s likely you will have worked in:
- A startup or leading technology business. Candidates with experience as a founder, or in a product or engineering role, are particularly welcome.
- Another investment platform, preferably focused on Internet, mobile and software.
Please reply with the following
- A resume, plus we’d love to see links that will help us get to know you. This could be your personal blog, Github profile or Twitter account — whatever represents you best. We expect your web presence to represent who you are unfiltered, so don’t sweat about editing yourself.
- We’d like to get a quick sense of what kind of investments you like. So we’re asking each applicant to share 3–4 startups — ideally in Europe, or ones you know up close — that you think Mosaic should seriously consider investing in, and the reasons why. If you can’t come up with 3–4, then augment with 1–2 that you think we should have invested in the past year (with the same rationale).
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com. We will be in touch where we see a great fit.
We look forward to meeting you!