Managing Partner of Castor Ventures, a Venture Fund for MIT Alumni
We are seeking a Managing Partner for our MIT alumni-based venture capital fund, Castor Ventures. Using our unique venture model, the Castor Ventures MP will be responsible for raising capital from fellow MIT alumni and then reinvesting that capital into growth-phase companies led by or associated with MIT alumni. Castor will be raising its second annual fund this fall.
Our organization, Launch Angels (www.launch-angels.com), currently operates a network of nine alumni funds across the alumni communities of Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, Yale, Penn, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Stanford, and Berkeley. We have a tested playbook, processes, staff, and proprietary systems to help you raise, invest, and successfully manage a fund. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school. Our funds are raised and invested on an annual basis, with additional opportunities for co-investment across the Launch Angels platform. Additionally, you will be leveraging the support of a well-developed back office team and processes of parent company Launch Angels that were used to create the highly successful Green D Ventures (www.greendventures.com) funds for Dartmouth alums, as well as its sister funds.
This is a full-time position located in our Waltham-based office. There you will be joined by a full-time salaried Vice President focused on deal sourcing and diligence (already onboard), as well as an external Investment Committee, and a series of Fellows who will help you expand on Castor’s success. In addition, you can call on the former MP (now MP Emeritus and LAMC Cambridge Advisor) for insights.
If you are an entrepreneurial alum, with venture investing experience and intrigued by this opportunity, we’d like to talk to you.
Our ideal candidate will have many of these traits and be able to recruit strong supporters in areas where he/she might need support.
- Must be an MIT graduate (undergrad degree preferred, but not required)
- Venture investing experience
- Committed to operating this as a full-time venture
- Located near, or willing to relocate near, our regional office in the Greater Boston area
- Entrepreneurial DNA
Requirements for an ideal candidate
- Top-tier MBA
- Strong influence and connections within the MIT alumni community
- Good VC network to tap into
- Experience in a start-up environment
- High-energy, engaging personality with a passion for growing and maintaining relationships
- Data-driven professional with an interest in analyzing beyond the surface of information
- Excellent communicator in person, on phone, and in writing
- Passionate about innovation and entrepreneurship
- Interest in helping grow Launch Angels
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail oriented, proactive and self-motivated
- Natural networker who is both engaging and confident
- Strong financial acumen
- Credible, trustworthy with a high-level of gravitas
- Organized, with a natural desire to analyze complex opportunities, prioritize, and deliver results
- Report directly to the Launch Angels CEO and Chief Investment Officer
- Work closely with the Launch Angels team to leverage our knowledge, systems, processes, and staffs to raise and run your fund
- Recruit and vet a core nucleus of ambassadors and Investment Committee members, complementing your own skill set and experiences with those of others
- Interact with school and business department/incubators in particular to build cordial relationships
- Represent the fund to strategic partners, press, entrepreneurs, and the general public
- Recruit and manage Investment Committee members and other team members
- Initiate and build long-term relationships with lead investors (VC and PE groups) that span stage, geography, and industry focus
- Lead portfolio creation, sourcing investment opportunities, overseeing due diligence, and executing deals
- Assist Launch Angels with investor outreach and marketing initiatives to your community
- Help define and lay the groundwork for each subsequent annual fund
- Manage and contribute to the development of your funds VP and Fellows
If interested, please apply here.