VenDev Manager– Venture Development is an essential part of the Verizon Ventures program. The Manager is responsible for working withprospective and existing portfolio companies to understand their products and services and creating new compelling value propositions for Verizon. They will marry Verizon strategic priorities and entrepreneurial dynamics and translate them into tactical investment and partnership delivery.This position requires a keen eye for identifying and a passion fordriving innovation at scale while maintaining a balanced attitude innegotiation and cross functional/company collaboration.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work with internal product, strategy & network teams to identify and communicate priority topics to align with investment theses & Ventures portfolio development.
- Promote & evangelize the Ventures portfolio within Verizon and to the external business community to drive awareness and commercial business opportunities.
- Manage and support the Ventures portfolio companies to drive value by understanding their needs, identifying internal VZ and external partnership opportunities, providing business tools and technology platforms to accelerate their growth, showcasing their technologies to internal and external teams, and prioritizing the business development and investment pipeline.
- Actively engage in and develop community events, which drive value tothe Verizon to increase awareness of the portfolio and development opportunities.
- Identify emerging external technology trends to help shape and develop investment theses and new business development opportunities.
- Source, engage, review & prioritize new technology startups in investment theses areas.
- Develop subject matter expertise withstrategic & financial analytical reports in core areas.
- Jointly explore new innovation creation through collaboration with VZ internal stakeholders and external entrepreneurs.
- Track & report metrics associated with all aspects of the investment pipeline, portfolio partnership efforts, community efforts and innovation exploration.
- Collaborate with Verizon legal and finance stakeholders to create & execute agreements & payments.
What we’re looking for…
What you’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or six or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Minimum of 7 combined years in roles in a variety of consumer and/or
enterprise technology, startup development, business development,
finance, product management, sales/marketing and operations;
Technology development/product P&L experience highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and select innovative partners based
on strategic criteria.
- Ability to conceptualize and create new opportunities, with strong
follow through for execution.
- Entrepreneurial orientation — proactive attitude with a bias towards
action. Exercises sound judgment to move things forward in ambiguous,
rapidly changing environments.
- Experience leading adoption of new technologies and full life-cycle of
- Experience managing complex initiatives across multiple functions with
track record of fiscal responsibility.
- Experience managing teams, including cross functional, with and
without a direct reporting relationship.
- In depth knowledge of the technology industry including marketing
approaches, pricing strategies, business models and regulatory issues.
- Knowledge of and network in Venture Capital, Startup
Accelerator/Incubator, or Startup Ecosystem, including developer and
entrepreneurial community history, needs and engagement models is
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to motivate team members,
peers and superiors to action.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills and the ability to
communicate ideas effectively, at all levels of management, throughout
the organization. Attention to detail and a collaborative approach to
sharing insights is required.
- Ability to make informed decisions without much guidance and possesses skills/desire to function as a business partner to rest of
- Proven execution skills – the successful candidate must be capable of
executing against the roadmap strategy alongside existing team.
- Proficiency in financial analysis/modeling including development of
valuation models as well as experience managing due diligence
processes a plus.
When you join Verizon…
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
If interested, please apply here.