On a daily basis, you’ll interact and connect with Techstars portfolio companies CEOs and executive teams, understanding their needs and performance, and help focus the right resources from across Techstars into the right companies. You will work hand in hand with founders and leadership teams of startups across our ecosystem, and will partner with different departments inside of Techstars to ensure the right resources are deployed to the right companies at the right time. Furthermore, you will track the progress and development of these startups, helping to identify which companies meet Techstars matching fund eligibility, and will help deploy that capital in accordance with fund strategy.
The ideal investment manager will have deep emotional intelligence and people skills, can work collaboratively and creatively inside sometimes challenging dynamics of the startup world, and has unshakeable organization skills, letting nothing fall to the floor. Experience working with high-growth, startup CEOs is a must, as is exposure to early-stage technology investing.
The investment manager, Americas will be focusing on portfolio companies located in North or South America and will work alongside a team of other investment managers with similar responsibilities. This role sits on the investments team and reports to the head of portfolio management.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Have quarterly check-in calls (at a minimum) with a subset of the Techstars portfolio CEOs..
- Identify needs of the companies, and help direct Techstars resources into the companies as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively alongside other departments inside of Techstars to ensure the right resources are being deployed to the right companies at the right time.
- Complete quarterly portfolio reviews for companies you’re working with.
- Serve in a support function to identifying and executing the matching-fund strategy of Techstars.
- Work alongside portfolio managers inside of Techstars to identify projects and programs to help increase the data, tracking, and performance of the portfolio.
- Work alongside Techstars staff to better support the portfolio companies.
- Drive pro-rata decisions alongside legal, finance, and leadership.
- Has 3+ years of exposure to early stage investing. Understands and feels comfortable with term sheets, round dynamics, investment deals, and investment fund strategies and can talk knowledgeably about them.
- Is comfortable using software such as Salesforce, Google apps, excel – or at very minimum is a fast learner and does not fear technology.
- Has EXCELLENT people skills. Is candid, transparent, comfortable having difficult conversations and providing open yet respectful feedback to CEOs and founders, has deep emotional intelligence, can navigate complex social situations, and has a love of working with people who are driven, creative, and sometimes challenging.
- Intellectually honest, creative, curious, eager to learn, eager to teach.
- Is not afraid to ask for help, to admit you don’t know something, and to work collaboratively.
- Experience working at a seed or small venture capital fund is a plus but not a requirement.
- Self-starter with a bias toward action, thrives in independent work environments with little oversight.
Techstars is the worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed. Techstars founders and their teams connect with other entrepreneurs, experts, mentors, alumni, investors, community leaders, and corporate partners who will help their companies grow. Techstars operates three divisions: Techstars Startup Programs, Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs and Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships. Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs help founders do more faster and Techstars Startup Programs inspire, educate and connect entrepreneurs. Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships helps brands supercharge growth by accelerating innovation and cultural transformation. Techstars accelerator portfolio includes more than 1,400 companies with a market cap of $13.9 Billion. http://www.techstars.com