Reporting to the Chief Investment Officer, the Manager or Sr. Manager, Investments is a unique position that combines asset management and direct investing into social enterprises. For asset management, this position will manage the execution of RSF’s investment strategy to optimize the impact of philanthropic assets. For direct investing, this position will be key to the growth and success of RSF’s integrated capital strategy, providing flexible forms of capital to social enterprises. Finally, this position will contribute to high priority strategic initiatives including strategic planning, impact assessment, and ongoing competitive analyses to advance RSF’s leadership position in the field of social finance.
RSF offers clients a variety of Philanthropic Services, including Donor Advised Funds. The gifts and contributions received from these philanthropic clients comprise RSF’s philanthropic assets. We steward and invest these assets in a mission and values-aligned manner.
RSF provides various forms of capital (debt, equity, grants) directly to social enterprises. Historically, the bulk of this financing has been in the form of senior secured loans from our Social Investment Fund, managed by RSF’s Lending Team. In recent years we have developed new offerings, philanthropic Capital Collaboratives, that give RSF the ability to make direct equity and equity-like investments to complement our suite of offerings and expand our flexibility to partner with social enterprises.
Investment Management, Philanthropic Assets
Project Management, Research & Analysis:
- Manage a complex, multi-year project to develop and execute RSF’s investment strategy involving external and internal stakeholders:
- Manage relationship, timeline, and deliverables of external investment advisory firm, hired on a consulting basis.
- Optimize expertise of external Investment Advisory Committee by coordinating meeting agendas, follow ups, and corresponding with committee members.
- Prepare deliverables and synthesis of project status for RSF Board of Trustees.
- Conduct research and analysis of macroeconomic trends and key investment themes by impact area and asset class that affect RSF’s existing investments and will inform RSF’s future investments.
Make New Investments:
- Build pipeline of investment opportunities by impact theme and asset class.
- Conduct due diligence and full analysis on select new investment opportunities, draft recommendation memos to present to Investment Committee. Manage all elements of transaction through to closing.
Manage Existing Investments:
- Manage existing investments. Review quarterly reports and statements from managers, participate in annual LP meetings and calls. Track monthly performance of materially significant investments.
- Review data on investments for accuracy and write brief summaries for quarterly Philanthropic Services Client statements.
- Partner with RSF’s Information Systems and Finance & Accounting teams to ensure accurate tracking of investments, reporting, and information sharing internally.
Integrated Capital Deployment, Funding Social Enterprises
- Work in partnership with the CIO and Lending Team to build pipeline, evaluate, and execute new opportunities to make direct equity investments into social enterprises from RSF’s philanthropic Collaboratives, with an initial focus on the Women’s Capital Collaborative.
- Streamline the direct investment process and documentation, in alignment with overall ‘capital deployment’ out of Collaboratives.
- Support CIO and Lending team on large, ‘marquee’ Integrated Capital financings where analysis is required on the overall capital structure and equity raise planned in tandem with RSF’s debt.
- Co-create a strategy around co-investment partnerships: identify highly-aligned investors, lenders, and donors that complement RSF’s Integrated Capital offerings. Cultivate relationships that result in sourcing new social enterprise clients and a productive co-investment community.
- Serve on core team working with CEO/CIO/COO on strategic planning process for RSF. Synthesize data and key concepts, produce draft deliverables. Manage and update scenarios in RSF’s 5-year financial model, in support of the strategic plan.
- Serve on core team representing Investment team’s needs, for Impact Assessment & Management project.
- Conduct market assessment & competitive analyses to advance RSF’s positioning as a social finance/impact investing leader.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Education, Experience, Values Alignment:
- 5-10 years of experience in roles requiring analytical rigor, strategic thinking, and ability to synthesize data, and produce clear deliverables.
- Relevant industries include investment banking, management consulting, private equity, venture capital, or investment management.
- Experience working with a variety of fund managers across asset classes, management teams of for-profit companies and non-profit organizations, institutional investors and family offices is preferred.
- BA/BS degree required; MBA degree preferred
- Commitment to the vision, mission, and values that inform RSF’s work.
Communication & Judgement
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and listening skills to effectively collaborate with colleagues, management teams of investees and prospective investments, investor and donor clients, and strategic partners
- Ability to exercise good judgment and respond appropriately to changing circumstances and priorities
- Use discretion, maintain confidentiality, and manage sensitive client relationships and information
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Excellent time and project management skills, meeting facilitation and participation skills
- Experience evaluating equity and debt investments, preferably companies with a social mission
- Proficiency with financial statement review and analysis, understanding of valuation methodologies
- Highly quantitative, with excellent analytical skills, including proven financial modeling skills
- Experience conducting market and competitive analysis to inform strategy
- Excellent proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook
- Proficiency using Salesforce as CRM system and data analytics tool for analysis and reporting
- Ability to utilize databases and internet resources for research.
Compensation & Benefits:
Competitive non-profit salary based on qualifications and experience. Other benefits include:
- A fulfilling work environment at a supportive and entrepreneurially-driven organization
- A competitive compensation package including employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance benefits
- Very generous vacation and sick leave benefits plus nine paid holidays per year
- 403(b) plan with employer-paid contributions after one year of employment
- Exposure to innovative ideas, projects, and collaborative staff activities
- Access to numerous professional development opportunities
Please submit your resume via e-mail to HR@rsfsocialfinance.org along with a thoughtful cover letter. In the cover letter, please explain why you are interested in the mission, values, and activities of RSF Social Finance. Please also tell us why your skills and experience would make you successful in this role. In the e-mail subject line, please write “Manager, Investments”.
Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
RSF Social Finance is an equal opportunity employer; candidates representing a diversity of backgrounds are encouraged to apply.