Join a leading venture capital firm
- We’re one of the UK’s leading venture capital firms. We’re passionate about building innovative, high-growth technology companies. For 17 years, we’ve been partnering with entrepreneurs with global ambition and providing capital and support to fuel their growth. We’ve invested in more than 50 technology companies, have over £200m under management and invest over £35m annually.
- We’re research-driven. We’re developing Europe’s leading venture research team to give us a deep and differentiated understanding of emerging technologies, sector dynamics and what it takes for companies to succeed.
- Our portfolio includes Appear Here, Bloom & Wild, DigitalGenius, Elder, Gousto, Interactive Investor, Masabi, NewVoiceMedia, Peak, Signal Media, SafeGuard, Senseye, Sky-Futures, Small World FS and Tyres on the Drive.
Enjoy intellectual challenge and commercial impact
- Reporting directly to MMC Partner and Head of Research, David Kelnar, this role offers a unique combination of intellectual challenge and commercial impact.
- You’ll have the opportunity to research today’s most exciting emerging technologies (such as machine learning, blockchain and quantum computing) and developments in key sectors – from financial services and healthcare to security and retail.
- Your work will also have significant commercial impact. Our research helps us identify areas of opportunity, select and decline investment opportunities, and unlock value in our portfolio companies.
- We offer a unique environment for your long-term development and influence. We’re creating Europe’s leading venture research capability. We want you to be at the heart of that team, to support and to lead initiatives, and to help us realise our ambitions in the years ahead. See some of our recent work at mmcventures.com/research – then help us take our work to the next level.
- The role also offers scope for progression, a competitive salary and a discretionary bonus based upon performance. We also operate a carry scheme, for which employees can become eligible.
Key functions of the role
Help us develop a deep understanding of emerging technologies, identify the leading companies of tomorrow, unlock value in our portfolio companies, and share our learnings with the market. Key functions of the role include:
1. Develop a deep understanding of emerging technologies and key sectors
- Undertake research into key emerging technologies such as blockchain, artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and augmented & artificial reality.
- Develop investment frameworks that highlight attractive areas of investment and the success factors for early stage companies.
- Undertake and supervise research projects in a wide range of industry sub-sectors to help us evaluate potential investments.
- Empower the broader MMC team with best practices in primary and secondary research.
2. Identify tomorrow’s leading companies
- Map ecosystems of early stage companies to identify potential investment opportunities.
- Contact, meet with and evaluate early stage companies to identify attractive candidates for investment.
3. Catalyse growth in our investments
- Lead projects to help our portfolio companies unlock value. Engagements vary widely, from strategic analyses of market dynamics to learning initiatives with potential partners and acquirers.
4. Expand our presence
- Write accessible, insightful blog posts that share MMC’s analysis of key technologies, markets and investments.
- Write and contribute to definitive ‘State of…’ reports annually, which highlight developments and implications in key emerging technologies and sectors.
- Manage MMC’s ‘Beyond The Hype’ podcast.
5. Enhance our capabilities
- Manage and enhance the ‘MMC Research Stack’ – the suite of tools and resources we use to catalyse our research – while strengthening our best practices.
What we’re looking for in a candidate
We’re looking for a candidate with the curiosity, drive, technical skills and collaborative mindset to cornerstone our research team.
Qualities for success
- A deep curiosity regarding emerging technologies and commercial trends.
- The doggedness to develop actionable answers to complex questions.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A thirst for commercial impact, not just study.
- A collaborative mindset. We succeed or fail as a team, and work on many projects together.
- Openness to feedback, debate and constructive challenge.
- A growth mindset. We seek to improve our capabilities every day.
Required skills and experiences
- A demonstrable track record of achievement in a related role.
- A bachelor’s degree and at least four years of professional experience.
- Demonstrable analytical research skills.
- Experience developing and engaging with a primary research network.
- The ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- The ability to present with impact.
We’re building a diverse team
- We offer a supportive, collegiate environment that helps people maximise their potential.
- We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
- We warmly welcome applicants from backgrounds that are traditionally under-represented in the venture capital industry.
If interested, please apply here.