HHMI (Linkedin, Crunchbase) is widely recognized as an innovative national philanthropy, the world’s foremost medical research organization, a leading light in science education and a top institutional investor.
Located in the Washington, DC area, HHMI is seeking a Manager of Investment Operations to be a key member of the professional team that invests and manages HHMI’s $20 billion endowment fund. HHMI’s endowment comprises a diverse portfolio, including investments in domestic and international hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital funds, real assets and direct co-investments, as well as publicly-traded domestic and foreign stocks, government securities and other strategies spanning multiple asset classes.
HHMI has achieved its leadership role by aligning our mission with our vision, capitalizing on change, encouraging risk taking, and fostering innovation. At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges across a multitude of areas.
Among other responsibilities corresponding to your status as a significant contributor to the investment team, in this role you will:
- Conduct initial and ongoing due diligence reviews of prospective and existing investment managers’ businesses, operations, and financial reporting, including reviews of leading hedge fund managers, private equity fund managers, global equities managers and other alternative asset managers
- Actively monitor external and internal investment guidelines
- Assess valuation methodologies
- Establish, refine and implement key policies and procedures
- Coordinate investment-related components of HHMI’s Annual Financial Statements and Audit
- Negotiate and administer selected agreements related to your responsibilities
- Oversee one or more Analysts in performance of some of their responsibilities related to due diligence, compliance and fund administration
- Collaborate with Directors, Managing Directors and other members of HHMI’s investment team, and undertake special projects under their direction
- Regularly travel domestically and internationally, primarily to visit HHMI’s world-class investment managers and counterparties (20-30%)
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Management, Economics or related field. MBA, CFA, CAIA and/or IMDDA or other relevant certifications/coursework
- At least 5 years of experience in investment management due diligence, reporting and administration
- Strong knowledge of investment operations and support functions
- Experience with investment fund quarterly/annual financial statement analysis and audits
- Ability to build and leverage professional relationships with investment managers, counterparties, vendors and other institutional investors
If interested, please apply here.