Ferguson Ventures is the corporate venture capital arm of Ferguson Enterprises, the largest distributor of plumbing supplies and a major distributor of HVAC equipment, fire protection systems, waterworks and industrial products and services. In the United States, Ferguson is a $15B company with 1,400 locations and 24,000 associates. Ferguson has a strong reputation with more than 65 years of industry experience.
Ferguson Ventures invests in and partners with early through late stage companies that are solving industry challenges, able to add value to our partners, scale across our customer base and dominate in their space. Ferguson’s industry leading position, deep expertise, national branch network, and deep customer and vendor relationships will accelerate our partners’ ability to scale.
Overall Job Objective : Responsible for identifying, sourcing, and managing investment opportunities for Ferguson Ventures. Source deal flow through networking across the startup & VC community to give Ferguson Ventures the opportunity to invest/partner in deals that align with the current and future investment thesis.
- Establish and develop a network of internal (business unit, field leadership) and external (VC, CVC, startup, accelerator, incubator, universities) relationships to source deal flow, learnings and position Ferguson Ventures as a great partner
- Identify, evaluate and develop high potential targets that are relevant to the Ferguson business
- Document and execute overall investment strategies and implementation plans
- Prepare materials for the investment committee to gain a commit to negotiate (CTN) and commit to close (CTC)
- Assist with due diligence and evaluate business plans (team, product, IP, market, channel)
- Key liaison between Ferguson Ventures, Target Company, and Ferguson Business Unit
- Regular communication delivering visibility on opportunities identified, sourcing activity and forward progress on deals
- Support and accelerate partner companies to enhance strategic and financial value for Ferguson and the partner company
- Represent Ferguson Ventures and Ferguson Enterprises as a valuable member and great partner in the innovation and startup ecosystem
Essential Duties and Responsibilities :
- Strong communication and presentation skills capable of bringing a concept to life and persuade others to action
- Stay knowledgeable and a thought leader in the future of the industry and technology as it relates to our customers and industry
- Ability to build an investment thesis, strategy, and go to market plan to turn vision into action
- Relentless networking to become part of the startup and VC ecosystem
- Able to demonstrate the value of Ferguson & Ferguson Ventures as it relates to value add to the venture ecosystem and startup community
- Ability and curiosity to seek out technology trends present and future
- Ability to interact, influence and lead effectively with internal and external customers under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient
- Self-starter able to proactively build and manage own schedule in a manner that utilizes time wisely in pursuit of ROI and overall moving the business forward
- Background & experience
- 3+ years VC experience
- Or successful startup founder with fundraising experience
- Or 5+ years experience in computer science, engineering or business development
- BS, MS in Business Administration, Finance, Computer Science with MBA being a plus
- Technology aptitude and knowledge in applicable focus areas defined by investment thesis
- Experience and ability to optimize strategic business alliances
- Track and close tasks with speed through a developed deal flow management process
If interested, please apply here.