The Manager/Associate is a part of the American Express Ventures team based in New York, NY. The Amex Ventures team plays a key role in developing and executing long-term corporate strategic initiatives which contribute to American Express’ market leadership and growth. The team invests in innovative startups to accelerate American Express’ efforts in consumer commerce, B2B services and to enhance core capabilities such as data analytics and security. Team members work with senior management, C-level executives and business leaders across the company to execute equity investments, both domestically and internationally.
The team also initiates and executes non-organic business development and strategic initiatives.
Job Responsibilities: In this exciting opportunity, the incumbent will be an integral part of the Ventures group with emphasis on driving strategic engagement between American Express and our investment companies. This role will support the strategic evaluation of new investment opportunities, as well as lead the development and piloting of new business ideas in partnership with startups.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing investment theses around strategic focus areas and conducting market and industry analyses
- Supporting deal pipeline including sourcing, evaluating, and managing investments, with a focus on strategic fit with American Express
- Developing innovative new growth opportunities supported by partnerships with startups; this will include identifying the opportunity, building and pitching the business case, developing/executing pilots, and managing our startup partners
- Preparing and communicating results and recommendations to investment team and senior business partners
- Responsible for ongoing monitoring and managing of relationships with portfolio companies and the investment portfolio review process
- Responsible for maintaining and managing the Ventures portfolio database and supporting finance / legal / compliance teams
- The role is a multi-faceted one and requires operational, strategic, and interpersonal skill sets
- 3-5 years previous experience in venture capital, investment banking, strategic consulting, business development or operating experience at a venture-backed startup
- Strategic skills, with the ability to identify and assess key points, implications and recommendations and to provide thought leadership
- Strong communication skills
- Proven ability to influence and collaborate with others to drive results
- Interest in strategic investments, technology, financial services and the payments industry; intellectual curiosity and self-starter
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA strongly preferred
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
If interested, please apply here.