The J&J Innovation Centers, a part of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a New Venture Transactions Lead, to be located in South San Francisco, CA.
Johnson & Johnson (J&J) is the world’s most comprehensive and broad-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the pharmaceutical, consumer health, and medical device markets. The more than 260 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employ over 130,000 people worldwide.
Part of Johnson & Johnson’s Global External Innovation organization, Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI) has established Innovation Centers (ICs) in California (South San Francisco), Cambridge/Boston, London, and Shanghai (www.jnjinnovation.com). The ICs constitute a platform from which Johnson & Johnson identifies, catalyzes, contributes to, and accesses the most promising medical innovations at the leading life sciences companies and universities across the globe. J&J’s goal is to build a pipeline of innovative products that will benefit patients and will augment long-term corporate growth. Operating within major hubs of innovation allows J&J the opportunity to access technologies earlier and to help translate them into products for patients by contributing financial, intellectual, and human capital. The leading diversified healthcare company in the world, J&J seeks external innovation across a broad range of sectors, including biopharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer healthcare, diagnostics, and digital health.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will be an integral part of the New Venture Transactions team in the California Innovation Center (CA IC). The New Venture Transactions team is responsible for the identification and evaluation of innovations of potentially high interest to J&J’s operating companies based on J&J’s defined strategies, in strategic adjacencies, and in new areas. For opportunities that continue to be of high interest after due diligence, the New Venture Transactions team is responsible for working with teammates in the scientific, finance, legal (and, in some cases, venture capital) groups to identify the optimal partnership deal structure and then shepherding the deal through to deal closure. In some cases, the New Venture Transactions team also contributes to the management and optimization of partnerships after deal closure.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will focus on external innovation opportunities in Eye Health, including both biopharmaceuticals and medical devices. The chosen candidate will work closely with other scientific experts in the CA IC to source, screen, evaluate, and optimally capture opportunities of high strategic value. She or he will identify target opportunities and build business relationships with relevant emerging healthcare companies and with top academic institutions across Western North America. This individual will leverage her or his existing network of relationships with entrepreneurs, venture investors, and key scientific opinion leaders in California and across Western North America to generate a flow of innovative opportunities aligned with J&J business strategies.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will work with IC and venture investor teammates, with teammates in Johnson & Johnson Vision, and with key internal and external scientific and marketing experts, to coordinate due diligence reviews of collaboration, licensing, and investment opportunities. Working collaboratively with scientific, technical, legal, and finance colleagues, she or he will recommend collaboration models, structure deals (including new company creation, where indicated), and lead deal negotiations. She or he will be responsible for tracking target innovation companies and opportunities using CRM software. She or he will assist in the onboarding and ongoing partnership management of collaborations to maximize the chances of collaborative success. She or he may be called upon to research and create points of view on potential new areas of ground-breaking healthcare innovation. And she or he must be able to serve as an ambassador for JJI, both internally and externally.
The New Venture Transactions Lead will also help to source, screen, and mentor companies with game-changing science for JLABS. JLABS is the world’s premier life science incubator, empowering and enabling innovators to deliver life-enhancing health and wellness solutions to people around the globe.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in science, preferably from a top-tier university, is required.
- An advanced degree in Vision science, Optometry or Ophthalmology (preferably a PhD, an MD, or both) is required.
- A minimum of five years of work experience is required.
- Previous work experience in the field of Medical Devices is required (previous work experience in the field of Biopharmaceuticals, in addition, is a plus); this work experience can have been acquired through work directly in a Medical Device company (whether large or small) or through work experience in venture investing, management consulting, or investment banking.
- Business development deal sourcing and transactional experience, including familiarity with Medical Device research collaboration and license negotiations, is strongly preferred, as is a general understanding of equity investing.
- Access to, or familiarity with, an existing network of life science innovators and venture investors in the Bay Area is preferred.
- Experience in an entrepreneurial company is a plus.
- A demonstrated track record of high performance, academically and professionally, is preferred.
- A demonstrated record of having played an integral role in the sourcing, negotiation, internal championship, and closure is preferred. The ability to communicate well, both in oral and written form, is strongly preferred.
- Preferred personality traits include leadership, industriousness, flexibility, and a high capacity for teamwork.
- This position is located in South San Francisco, CA, and requires willingness to travel (including internationally) up to 30% of the time.
If interested, please apply here.