As an organization dedicated to Life Changing Medicine, UPMC has defined a bold mission: to shape the future of health care through innovation. At UPMC Enterprises, we are at the forefront of this innovation. UPMC Enterprises is the innovation and commercialization arm of the organization, with a focus in translational science and technology solutions in the healthcare marketplace. The Translational Sciences team at UPMC Enterprises combines scientific, clinical, and investment expertise to invest in and optimize the commercialization path for products and solutions addressing diseases with high unmet medical need.
The Translational Sciences Summer Associates will gain experience in the evaluation of investment opportunities and performance of supporting research, including analysis of scientific and market landscapes, competitive environments, and drug development pipelines. The Summer Associates may also assist in the monitoring and support of existing portfolio investments with key strategic projects such as fundraising and operational initiatives.
- Works with senior team members to define and prioritize areas of opportunity in the investment landscape
- Maintains knowledge of current industry trends and developments
- Evaluates investment opportunities in cooperation with senior team members
- Reviews investment proposals from UPMC/Pitt investigators for potential internal funding and spinout company opportunities
- Conducts primary and secondary research to assess market needs, addressable market size, competition, regulatory and reimbursement risk, and other factors
- Assists senior team members with investment due diligence and deal execution
- Generates development plans and risk mitigation strategies in conjunction with senior team members
- Makes investment recommendations to Translational Science Executive Leadership and assists with the writing of investment memos
- Tracks metrics to measure project/company performance and communicates to the Translational Science staff regularly
- Schedules regular reviews to monitor investment progress, and makes recommendations regarding continued funding
- Assists senior team members with preparation for stakeholder updates and presentations
- Accountable for maintaining project records in accordance with standard practices
- Performs in accordance with system-wide competencies and behaviors
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Must be currently enrolled in an MBA program, preferably at a top tier university. Undergraduate degree in life sciences (preferred), business, or related disciplines.
- At least two years of experience in investment banking, management consulting, venture capital, corporate development, or related fields.
- Proven track record of academic, professional, and personal achievement.
- High level of maturity and professional demeanor.
- Outstanding analytical ability, with the capacity to draw conclusions based on both qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
If interested, please apply here.