We’re looking for the crazy ones that want to change the world. If you’re just looking for a job, this isn’t for you.
We provide world changing early stage startups with the tools, skills, and mentorship necessary to successfully raise, build, and scale their businesses to eventual acquisition. We’ve helped fund over $100M into companies and are looking for experienced startup team members that are in it for the long-haul to truly help startups while also driving fund returns.
- You have experience with startups and venture capital
- You have a passion for startups and world changing technologies
- You are analytical and can do independent research
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You are outgoing and can talk to just about anyone
About Our Internships
Internships typically last 4-6 months, with the top interns offered venture associate roles upon intern completion. We accept interns who can devote at minimum 20 hours per week but prefer full-time. We are flexible with schedules and hire remotely and we start internships formally in the Fall, Spring, and Summer. Our aim is to encourage entrepreneurship and buffer the ecosystem that supports it while teaching interns practical skills and real-world knowledge they can apply to full-time roles.
Our internship has two paths- general venture and financial analyst, both are and will be responsible for assisting in generating and reviewing funding applications, nurturing companies through the selection process, completing due diligence, and helping Newchip and it’s partners select companies for our portfolios.
You will collaborate with our finance and biz-dev team to research and uncover investment opportunities. The ideal candidate will have meaningful exposure to private company investing and a passion for quantitatively and qualitatively evaluating investment opportunities in the venture capital landscape. You will be the one to ensure that our selection funnel is a well-oiled machine, moving the gears, and ultimately helping us help companies be successful.
The area of responsibility for this role is very wide and thus requires thorough knowledge and most importantly a passion to learn and be involved in various company processes from both a strategic and execution standpoint. To be successful in this role, you should have more than a basic knowledge of the startup scene, finance, and software.
Prior interns have spent time supporting portfolio companies by assisting with financial models, pitch presentations while also researching new opportunities, and business development. This internship will propel your career opportunities forward by giving you exposure and real responsibility to make an impact on a growing team as well as prepare you for a venture associate role at our firm or others.
Note- that a video cover letter via vimeo or youtube is preferred over a paper cover letter in the application process.
You will help with…
- Managing the Newchip application process
- Send out interview invitations
- Collect and prepare the presentation decks
- Coordinate 1-on-1 interviews, both for selection and investment
- Score and rank applications for selection
- Managing the Newchip application process
- On-boarding new accelerator companies
- Keeping Portfolio Overview documents up to date (weekly)
- Maintaining all social channels and contact lists
- Assisting with Social Media
- Coordinating On-boarding Events such as:
- Company Orientations
- Company Interviews
- Your primary focus will be around identifying, researching, and assisting the venture associates in selecting our portfolio of companies, while helping to nurture new companies through the application and selection process.
- You will have the opportunity to perform due diligence research on potential portfolio companies, design and execute marketing and biz-dev plans, attend business related events and conferences, and observe applicant company pitches.
- You will help our portfolio companies meet the challenges of scaling their businesses by helping them source relevant networks of executives for hire, partners/service-providers, as well as investors.
- You will help organize meaningful events for our portfolio during the accelerator process, ultimately bringing industry leaders together to share what they know with our community via livestreams and webinars.
- You are responsible for always learning and building processes. One of your biggest challenges will be how to operationalize our transfer of knowledge and facilitate knowledge-share to and from the program to our time-strapped founders.
- You will help out on other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of Newchip accelerator and venture fund, some of which we don’t know about yet, and some of which you will help to define.
- A bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, economics, accounting, and or MBA, (graduated or graduating in the next 12-24 months)
- Ambitious and flexible, prepared to frequently step out of your comfort zone, work hard to deliver the team’s goals, and have a desire to create a positive, happy work environment.
- A strong drive and the ability to self-direct, especially on multiple projects at any one time. Our work and time is open-ended by nature and you must be able to identify and execute on opportunities to contribute to the team with little, if any, management or direction
- Personable, engaging and able to build relationships quickly and easily.
- Able to research, assimilate and communicate complex ideas clearly and succinctly in writing and verbally. You will see the big picture, and you’ll sweat the tiniest details.
- A leader, and are able to initiate change with an ability to listen, counsel and coach.
- Have had exposure to the technology industry within a startup, leading technology company or consultancy.
- Have an outstanding network in the US startup scene.
- Graduated from a leading university with an excellent academic record.
- Underwrite and evaluate investments based risk and return fundamentals
- Assist with deal structuring and the evaluation of term sheets
- Prepare discounted cash flow analyses, competitive market analyses and development model analyses for current and pipeline opportunities
- Join meetings with current and pipeline company management teams and co-investors
- Assist in the preparation of pitch decks for companies
- Limitless curiosity about business models, competitive dynamics and innovation
- An interest in diving deep in more than one investment category, gaining exposure to companies across the financial technology landscape including cryptocurrency, trading platforms, data businesses and technology companies.
- Passion for high quality work and the ability to relentlessly pursue continuous improvement
- Interest in pursuing personal and professional growth by learning new principles
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office — specifically PowerPoint and Excel
- Have been an assistant or played a support role at a previous organization
- Passionate about working in the Austin startup scene and helping companies succeed.
- Organized and plan ahead, but you don’t get stressed out when things change at the last minute. Because they will. You roll with it.
- Write things down. You document your process and maintain records so that if you got hit by a bus we we’ll be very sad but still able to continue operating.
- Are professional and presentable and greet everyone cheerfully.
- Have a reliable laptop computer and smartphone.
- Are security aware. You have a passcode on your computer and phone and use a password manager.
- Comfortable with the Google Apps suite of products. You’re eager to learn about new tools and ways to be more productive.
- Get to Inbox Zero every day.
- Don’t gossip and have discretion.
- Have a cover letter and resume that demonstrates strong attention to detail and appreciation for a polished product.
- Starting pay of $10-$30 per hour depending on level of experience
- Potential for full time hire with industry competitive salary + equity stock options
- Competitive paid time off (vacation, sick days, and public holidays) for full-time hires
- Weekly team lunches and endless snack and drink supply
- Regularly planned team outings and company events
- Training and career development opportunities + conferences and travel
- Opportunity to make a meaningful impact in a revolutionary space
We’re looking forward to meeting you and wish you the best of luck in the recruitment process!
If interested, please apply here