WHAT WE BELIEVE
We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands how to address our society’s challenges better than those who live them everyday. These partners help us identify problems and opportunities, learn fast and iterate toward our audacious goals for the next century. We strive to be humble, empathetic and scrappy life-long learners who work collaboratively to develop community-centered solutions.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Within CZI, the Ventures team invests in for-profit companies that help accelerate our impact and extend our reach by building innovative solutions that are self-sustainable and scalable. We lead and co-invest alongside traditional and impact investors. Our Ventures effort has initially been focused primarily on Education, although the team is actively exploring opportunities aligned with our Justice & Opportunity work and will support investments across all our initiatives over time. Within Education, we support impact-focused entrepreneurs in transforming lifelong learning across the globe through a whole child approach to personalized learning.
As an MBA Intern, you will identify and explore new areas of investment interest, conduct primary market research, and work with the team to evaluate potential new investments. An ideal candidate would have experience in venture capital or private equity and cares deeply about impact through education and/or justice and opportunity.
The position is based in our Palo Alto headquarters.
- Developing investment and impact theses, measuring results, and driving learning across our portfolio
- Conducting primary market research across education, workforce development, affordable housing, and/or other areas aligned to CZI’s justice and opportunity strategy
- Aiding the team in evaluating potential venture investments
- MBA in progress
- Passionate about impact through education, science and/or justice and opportunity
- Experience in venture capital or private equity, corporate development, corporate venture, strategy consulting, or investment banking
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven leadership, initiative and resourcefulness
- Comfort with ambiguity in a rapidly changing environment
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in venture capital or private equity
- Knowledge and/or insight into one of our initiatives (i.e., Education, Science, or Justice & Opportunity)
- Previous professional or volunteer experience in areas related to our initiatives (i.e., Education, Science, or Justice & Opportunity)
ABOUT THE CHAN ZUCKERBERG INITIATIVE
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was launched in December 2015 by Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, and his wife, Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder and CEO of The Primary School in East Palo Alto. The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative is a new kind of philanthropic organization dedicated to advancing human potential and promoting equal opportunity through world class engineering, grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work. Initial areas of focus include supporting science through basic biomedical research and education through personalized learning. CZI is also exploring ways to build stronger, more equitable communities through affordable housing and criminal justice reform. To learn more, visit our Facebook page.
If interested, please apply here.