A summer intern is being sought for the New Ventures Initiative in its Lawrence office at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas. For the qualified MBA candidate, it will be an exciting opportunity to help form and build the New Ventures Initiative by participating in the evaluation of potential investments, monitoring existing investments as well as investigate their potential as a strategic enhancement to Blue Cross in the future.
Are you ready to make a difference? Choose to work for one of the most trusted companies in Kansas.
- Assist the Director of New Ventures with daily activities and projects
- Research and recommend investment opportunities for New Ventures
- Assess the investment landscape for a given sector of healthcare. This includes determining the performance parameters for products addressing the sector, market size, technology trends, competitive landscape, and investment opportunities
- Carry out secondary research and interview key opinion leaders to gather a well-informed perspective on the segment
- Screen and evaluate all available startups in the given sector and report to senior fund staff on recommendations to pursue specific investments
- Assist in enhancing investment committee/executive panel reporting
- Prepare presentations for investment committee and participate in presentation of content with senior executives as needed
- Attend prospective investment presentations
- Potential travel to the Topeka home office, off-site meetings or presentations or investment summits
- Carry out due diligence on potential investments, including market research, financial modeling, competitive analysis, and technology assessments
- Assist with clerical support for all activities
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Maximum number of hours allowed: 300, no more than 30 hours per week.
- MBA Candidate – completed first year of study including core finance/accounting work. (GPA 3.2 or Above)
- The individual’s interest must be in Venture Capital Investing or Entrepreneurial Activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong PC skills with a strong working knowledge of MS Office to include PowerPoint, Word and Excel and broad Internet search skills.
- Demonstrated self-starter and be able to carry out activities with a minimum of supervision
- Strong leadership skills
- Superior organizational and project management skills
- Ability to perform investment modeling and analysis
- Strong understanding of financial statements
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on multiple tasks and assignments
- Ability to design and provide research-based investment recommendations as well as develop actionable solutions
- Willingness to travel
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit with a strong customer focus
- Have the ability to reason from multiple perspectives and make decisions in a complex environment
If interested, please apply here.